Exciting news! (For me anyway)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keato

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I thought I should post here & try be more active.

I've got awesome news regarding my scroll saw business (very small business)

I can't go into specifics but a few months ago I was approached by Strathclyde University with an idea (to see if it was possible to actually make with my scroll saw) & have now been commissioned by the Uni to create their idea. 3 of this idea to be exact.

One of them will be put up in the University for all to see & If that wasn't exciting enough, 2 of these orders will be an exhibit in the Glasgow Science Centre (GSC)!!!

One has been finished and I'm in mid production of the other 2. Not sure when they will be unveiled or brought out in the GSC but when it is I'll post a photo if anyone is wanting to see.

I'd say it's my biggest achievement to date.

Looking forward to seeing something I've designed & made by hand in the GSC :D

Just an update on this if anyone is interested :)

Photos can be found on my Facebook page (search Keatocrafty)

But I'll see if I can post any here.

They are quite blurry (tried emailing them to myself & sending as smaller JPEG as I'm on my ipad)

The full res ones can be seen on my Facebook page & also when the GSC dispay them & the Uni too :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,994
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,994
Good grief, that is a fabulous piece of work and must have taken a lot of time and patience to cut.

It took me ages to try and read what the pieces said then the penny dropped and I realise that each one is a chemical symbol.

Fine piece of work and they must be well chuffed with it.

:) cheers

Yeah took a while to make. As I was making 3, 1 for the Uni and 2 for the science centre

The timber used was Sapele from Reid Timber I'm Glasgow.

Couldn't have done it without his help as I don't have any other tool than the scroll saw. So big thanks to him for band sawing it up for me to take home, I don't have a car either so I make trips back and fourth with a suitcase lol

Yeah it's a periodic table with 72 elements. Each element has its on specific jigsaw part so none of the elements will fit somewhere else :)

I also signed Kr as I'm a superman fan :)

What a fantastic piece of work -- I remember spending hours on the periodic table a set of yours would have made it more interesting!

John

Excellent piece of work =D> Will need to have a look the next time I am in the science centre. I like the fact that each bit has a different jigsaw piece. =D> The display that you have in Strathclyde Uni are they also on view to the public?

Yep the one in the University should be on display soon. Not sure when though as the frame/case is still being built for it by the Universiy.

I've been told I'll get an email when it's up in the Uni and GSC :D

Hi Keato,
What a gorgeous piece of work.
I absolutely love how the grain of the wood around the Sp & Sb looks like a sunburst. It's so artistic and the scroll cutting so accurate.
Did you do all of this using your Excalibur?
I just recently started looking at them and I'm quite interested myself in the 16 inch. It reminds me of the Delta I had back in the 80's which had a tension release lever and a knob to release the blade. Although it didn't have the tilting arm. I've seen some demonstrations of interior cutting and it looks like a breeze on this machine.
So, I'm hoping (if I don't get a Hegner) to try out the Excalibur.

Back