Dust extraction improvement, lots of pics!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rknott2007

Established Member
Reaction score
I own a axminster saw guard, but i have found a few problems with it, one the guard itself is very wide, yes this is to accomodate bevel cuts but it makes for a large area to extract from, it also makes it had to rip thin strips (50mm or so) and i couldn't get my sliding carriage fence passed it without lifting it up defeating the purpose so i decided to make a new guard for it and save the other factory guard to swap over for bevel cuts.

DSCF0182-1.jpg
[/img]

DSCF0183.jpg

Its made from mdf 38mm wide custom made to fit nicely over my 10in blade and riving knife, with 6mm acrylic each side and a custom flange for the extractor pipe made from maple, i sprayed for whole thing (excluding acrylic) with hammerite for a tough finish.

DSCF0185.jpg

I can now get my fence nice and close without lifting the guard and my slidding carriage passes right by.

To change to bevel its just a case of pulling off tghe pipe, which is a nice push fit, undo the nut slide off, slide on the factory guard, re-attach pipe.

How does the extraction perform? BRILLIANTLY
DSCF0184.jpg

This is my freshly brushed table, nice and clean.
DSCF0186.jpg

Here is my dust creating culprit 18mm mdf, dust would blow everywhere after the cut with the old guard.
DSCF0187.jpg

The cut 50mm strip with ease
DSCF0188.jpg

The result, a few tiny flecks of dust, now i know its only 1 small cut, but usually after this cut the table would be covered.
Dust is very dangerous, with cabinet making being my profession and my hobby I'm very exposed to it, I can collect almost all of the dust at the sourse now for a cleaner working environment. Less clean up time too.

I would advice anyone with a similar problem to build something like this I love it.
I'm now off to watch my workshop essentials mega bundle which dropped on my door step this morning, Great delivery Mr Maskery.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

I have the same Axminster set up and although its ok its not perfect. I do like your idea and will be following it in the future.

I found much the same with the original guard - so I adapted my original scheppach guard by spliting it in two and fitting a spacer in between, this made the pipe fit nicely and it works much netter now.
:)

Mike

Back