Deep rimmed shallow bowl (nervous to say) - "for critiq

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For those of you who recall I always disclaim my work by saying "I've only been turning for 3 months", which while being true is also there to serve as a judgement of time=skills learned, so all you seasoned pros shall go easy on me!

The truth is, I say this because even after only 3 months I feel that wood turning is something that I can study actively for the rest of my life, also thanks in part to this fine forum.

Also, I honestly appreciate all previous critique threads (i've read them all) and hope to receive the same treatment. One nod of kudos goes to George - the Artist-in-wood (see what I dod there?). You have provided me with the most inspiration and enthusiasm to continue in this fine trend. Plus i'm saving up for 1 of your pieces and hope for a special friend discount, LOL! (budgets up to £100 NOW).

So, not sure what type of wood this is but here is my version of a shallow, deep rimmed bowl, textured rim, burnished with friction from spalted beach, Chestnut sanding sealer then Chestnut friction polish for finish.

Bowl measures:

overall 142mm wide,
overall depth 33mm,
small bowl depth 20mm,
inner bowl width 60mm,
deep rim width 39mm,
textured rim width 11mm,
curve to outer bowl 15mm
curve depth 21mm
foot width 116mm

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

ok you asked for it.... ;)

I like the top view. i.e the wide rim and shallow bowl. But the rim is way too thick to my eye and the texturing hasn't worked. The outside shape of the bowl is very clunky without much grace. Nice try, but perhaps try again with more shape to the bowl and less heft on the rim.

I would tend to agree with Tom, I like the idea but it feels a bit clunky.

Maybe a thinner rim - you could still have the texturing in a band around the edge? The side profile of the bowl could better describe what is happening on the inside, at the moment it feels like two planks on top of each other.

The rotary sanding marks are easy to deal with - something like a gripper disk system of friction rotation sanding tool is fantastic for sorting that sort of thing out.

You might want to experiment with some detail (char, bead, flat)? on the transition between inner and outer bowl.

Hope this helps

Miles

Hello skeetoids

Welcome to the forum , hope you enjoy your time here :wink:

Regarding this bowl , in my mind it look like a case of trying to run before you can walk , trying to be too adventurous too soon

I would suggest you concentrate on the basic shape and form of your items along with learning the basic techniques used when turning

I am a strong believer in drawing out your idea before going into your workshop , In my mind by doing this when you walk out of your workshop with said item in hand you then know if you have been successful or have failed

If the design was planned and turned out as you had hoped then you have succeeded

Just a suggestion , regarding tool control and use I find when I have had novice turners visit for some tuition , it helps lots to go into the workshop intent on not making anything , Just mount a piece of 4" x 4 " cheap wood between centers , rough it down to a cylinder and practice turning beads and coves , using a parting tool , undercutting ,when you have worked your way along the piece , rough it down again and have another go , end result is lots of practice and more confidence with the tools . You can view lots of woodturning clips on youtube

Hope this has helped in some small way , If you were nearer you could spend a day with me :p for what that's worth

I appreciate I'm moving slightly sideways on this critique, and I hope Skeetoids won't object, but bowls are difficult to photograph and some comments on doing so would be appreciated. I could well guess from my own attempts as an equal beginner that quite a number of shots were taken of this bowl, most of which just don't show what is wanted.

We aim for a gloss finish and then of course any lighting reflects of it - there are shadows which we don't want and then there are colour changes.

Rob

Excellent advice all round as usual.

I do need to be more patient and just take my time with my pieces, spending more time just practising will do me the world of good, I definately need to buy better tools soon as the ones I am using are really nasty.

Well Lee i would go along with what Blister says.
It looks to me as if you are trying to do things that are far too many steps ahead of yourself,as a beginner.
I would concentrate on learning to use the tools by using up some or as much scrap wood you have even if it's only Pine.
If you want to do bowls than practice doing bowls,just a basic shape,with a decent 3/8" bowl gouge,leaving it fairly thick,until you feel confident enough to go thinner and thinner with the wall thickness,if needed.
Start off by shaping the outer and finishing and then take the middle out,as deep as you feel,stopping to check the thickness.Keep the tool sharp.
Then when you feel you are getting a good finish and feel confident, you can then start to play with texturing,burning,and colouring etc.
Try to master one part at a time until you can then put it all together.
This bowl,which i think is Oak :?: again looks like you are trying too many things.Just keep it simple :D
The finish looks better on this one,but could do with more shape to it for me.
Keep practising,practising and more practising :D

Great advice from you guys as usual.

I really need to be more patient, take my time and concentrate on learning the basics. I will be looking forward to acquiring some new/better quality tools and a chuck and then I think I will spend lots of time concentrating on bowls for a while.

Advice much appreciated and I won't be cluttering up the 'critique' threads before I seek advice from those I admire.

Happy to sit back and soak up the knowledge from the forums for a while and thanks for making me feel welcome and not ridiculed.

Aw the best.

Lee

Good advice which I am only going to add to but in a different way.

We all want to make the next thing. However the bowl is a perfect vessel within which tooling can be practices.

The most difficult form is a simple one as every slight line change can be seen.

Also what is most important in a bowl is what we can not see.

The empty space is the most important part as this is the part that holds/is the vessel.

To remove all of that material from both the outside and inside is a chance to practice every step of the way until it is finished.

Once you have completed it, forget about it and move onto the next. Practice good tool control and try to refine this every second you are working. This is very important to me. I continually refine my tool control ( or at least try, but fail) every second I am at the lathe.

So keep practising. and keep having fun.

Skeetoids, you have been given some good advice here. Practice will give you the tool control needed, so just keep making things and it will come. 8)
Its is good to have an idea of what you want to make and doing a sketch may well help(although I often just have an image in my mind of what I want to do). As well as tool control you need to think about curves/form of your bowls as this is a massive part of what turning is about. Trying for an even wall thickness is a great thing to practise on bowls as it teaches you to make the curve you want/need rather than one that just comes out.

Most importantly,never be dissapointed with anything you produce,every time you touch a chisel to the wood you will be learning,so even disasters teach you a lot,if not most :D

JT

Hello Lee.
A lot of helpful advise from members enough to be going on with.
I think the way forward is to always try and make the next piece better than the last.
Don't rush your work there is no hurry.
I am pleased you enjoyed my website.

Regards george

Back