Contemorary carved bowl." for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece is turned and carved from Beech 245mm x 90mm and colored with Acrylic paint

DSC01427.jpg

First thought was ghost busters :lol:
Seriously these are really well done. OK so not all the aspects of them appeal to me personally but The only thing I can think of to fault is personal taste and no way am I going to say mine is better than yours. At least not until I can turn something equally as well as you, so probably it'll never happen

Pete

Hello Pete.
It is a good job we dont all have the same taste.
But as you say we dont have to like everything about a piece to appreciate it.
Thank you for commenting.

Regards George

That's odd Pete, the first thing that popped into my mind was Capser the Friendly Ghost :lol:

George, I echo Pete's sentiments. The finish and skill is top notch but my boat it does not float ;)

Hi George,
I love the shape of this piece, and think the size of the ball is just right to complement it.
I'm still not convinced about the white colouring, but that is only a personal taste issue, and as my wife often says to me, "if I don't mind, you don't matter!"
Looking forward with anticipation to the next piece.

Malc :D

Hi George,

I like the style of your recent pieces but do prefer your previous 2 bowls.

How is the bowl standing, is there a small foot keeping it in this position.

Are you happy with the 2 holes you have put through the bowl, I know it may sound like a silly question but did you intend to put them in there current position, asthetically it may have been more appealing if the hole on the left echoed the curve as does the hole on the right, but then the unusual offset also works for me too.

It would be nice if you did a piece that could include an element of natural wood, perhaps a bowl like this may look cool with the very edge of the rim left natural?

Then again, i'm a novie at this game so what do I know?

Thanks for keeping up with your own style.

Hello Lee.
It is not easy to make every piece special.
The bowl has a small stand at the back because there is no foot.
Yes i am happy with the two holes they were meant to be random it is only chance that the one on the right mirrored the curve.
I do like natural wood but this series will all be completely painted.
Thank you for your comments they are very much appreciated.

Regards George

Great workmanship and finish as usual in this piece George and I understand your moves to develop a theme along these lines and think the balance of the piece is good, albeit wanting careful display presentation (stand or such) but for me the piece looses it's roots with wood turning in as much that it could just as easily have been produced in ceramic or plastic by an artist working in those mediums.

I know many of the coloured Hollow Forms may also be viewed the same way by some but these pieces are just a move too far for me I'm afraid.

Guess I just prefer the beauty of wood to show through in some way.

Hello Chas.
It is everyone to their own and i appreciate your reasons for not being keen on this.
You have complimented me on my workmanship and finish that is good enough for me.
The difference between this and ceramic or plastic is when you pick it up it feels like wood.
Also when you see it in real life although it has had at least ten coats of paint you can still make out the grain.
Thank you for commenting.

Regards George

Very nice piece, George.

Does it have an offset foot to tip it towards the viewer (which would be nice), or is that just the angle of the photo?

tekno.mage

Hello Techno.
No this piece does not have a foot there is a little stand behind it.
Thank You for you nice comment.
Hello Paul.
Thank you for commenting i am pleased you like it.

Regards George

Latest posts

Back