chuck help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, first post for a while it`s been a busy winter!!

when i purchased my cl3 i was given 2 chucks with the deal the 1st is this one below. could anyone give me details on it please as i can find no markings. when i got it, it was coverd in rust i have since got it working and cleaned it a bit. it has a standard hexagonal screwdriver slot for adjustment. i would like differen`t jaws for this chuck to expand on what i can do.
DSCF0624.jpg

the 2nd chuck is a peterchild masterchuck, i dont get on with this chuck as the jaws keep falling out i think its somthing i`ve done wrong :oops: :oops:. also the jaws dont petrude very far from the chuck so for recessed turning it isnt ideal.
DSCF0625.jpg

finally an update on my work... here`s my latest bowl the largest i`ve done so far, it measures 11" x 6" any comments welcome (i know the shape of it is a bit weird but its more of a practice for the use of bowl gouges :? )
DSCF0618.jpg

thanks, mark.

I dont recognise the first chuck but I have a manual in PDF form for the masterchuck if you need one.

john

The first chuck looks like one I have, a Robot Vantage chuck that was made by Robert Sorby Ltd. I've copied the instruction leaflet that came with it if it helps.

img008.jpg

Hi Mark,

Have a word with Roy at Peter Child and I'm sure he'll help you out with the Masterchuck
problem, he's always very helpful.

I do like your bowl too, well finished with a lovely grain pattern and nice rim. The shape is only marred by the foot which to me is
out of proportion and could have been omitted entirely.

Mick

i own the masterchuck2
i have a set of mini jaws that i use to expand into small bowls.
i also find the chuck is not ideal as peter child dont offer many sets of jaws and the jaw travel is only about 10mm.
for larger pieces it is only capable of expanding as it does not have a very big internal gripping diameter.
i have never had the jaws fall out, it seems pretty solid to me.
to anyone considering this chuck, i wouldn't recommend buying it unless you can get it really cheap second hand, save your money and get a better chuck.

Latest posts

Back