chestnut melamine lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
what would be the preferred method for applying melamine lacquer to ones turnings, especially in this case , a platter.
Ive just wiped on a couple of lightly thinned coats with some towel, and I'll look in the morning to see how successful that was.
any inner circle secrets? :wink:

Personally for something like a platter I'm afraid I resort to spraying it on, even then you have to get to grips with the vagaries of spraycan use and the risk of runs or over spray mist.

I struggled to get what I considered an acceptable finish for some months with hand application to large surfaces.
Brilliant when I got it right but a real pain when I got build up streaks etc. because it started skinning before I'd completed the spread. Mainly because I tried to apply and burnish it as I had got used to doing with standard sealer.
Apply and leave alone until hardened seems to be the motto.
A daily use fruit bowl that sits by my chair is as sound as when applied about 4 yrs ago.

I thin it 50/50 with celulose thinners and brush it on as fast as I can. If it's the top of a surface like that then I keep it on the lathe and turn as I brush. Try not to over brush the previous too much as it will 'pull' the surface. If that happens I use a little more thinners, or wait till it has hardened properly, about 24 hours, and then cut it back.

Turning it as you brush on the lathe helps to stop any runs that may think about forming I find.

Failing that, hard wax oil?

cheers guys,
I've been experimenting and so far have found ..rule 1. dont go over a bit youve already gone over! :(
like john says it drags over the rapidly drying previous layer.
I thought I'd give the melamine a go as i wanted a nice glossy finish, but its not turning out to be too glossy at the mo without having to cut and polish afterwards, which sort of defeats the object. #-o
Am i expecting the wrong thing or is it just my application? I imagine spraying it would have the desired finish but that means buying another tool! O:) :twisted: :-$

Melamine enhanced finish is a great product and stands up well to handling and anything that wants a wet wipe to clean or even drinking vessels.

Just a devil to apply over large areas, apply just the right amount and leave alone until cured is the answer.

If there are blemishes I find it is best to leave it a few days to alow it to get into it's chemical curing mode so that it is hard cured with enough depth that you won't break through a 'skin' when cutting back.

Right or wrong I apply with a pinch of mutton cloth, 50:50 first, then subsequent coats neat. After watching Terry [Chestnut] at Harrogate I realised I was applying it too thick, hence problems, now getting better results with thinner layers.

Back