Bowl of Hope - for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Ash, 90mm x 100mm, turned, scorched, sanded, turned again, stained then polished.

Photos my usual standard ( :( ) and they really don't do this piece justice, but enough disclaimers:

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

Skeets - I know how it feels when no-one replies. I'm no expert, so I shouldn't be commenting really, but I think your photo's are, as you say, not doing it justice. Appears to be left quite heavy inside, though I think it's just the camera angle. Looks like detail part of the way down, but difficult to make out. Nice bit of colour in there though, and I like the overall shape.

We need the experts to look at it :-k

If you take several shots of it from different angles, use natural daylight if you can rather than flash unless you have a light tent or decent lights. With something like this that has a high gloss, flash distorts it so we can't see the object clearly as LW says . As I said elsewhere, I am amazed at your progress in such a short time, especially your design thinking and it is worth getting the photos right so that we can all appreciate your work properly.

pete

I'm no expert either Lee,but perhaps if you explain the thinking behind this piece it might help us understand what you were trying to achieve :?:
Re- the piccys, this was the point i was trying to get across when a piece is put up for critique.
I think the photos should be of a decent quality so we or the experts can give a proper critique about the piece.
As for the piece itself Lee i have been looking at it since you posted it,and trying to understand what it is you have done but haven't fathomed it out which is why i have made no comment on it.
Your turning and colouring as come on in leaps and bounds Lee in such a short time,amazing what some proper,decent tools can achieve :D

Hi Folks,

First off let me apologise for my lack of patience. It's not a comforting feeling when you post something for critique and get limited to no response but I accept that I have a habit of just dropping pieces in with limted information and expect some sort of comment which is bad form on my part.

I do try my best with the photos but I will put more effort into this in future.

Again, apologies for my lack of explanation, I'm a bit embarassed at explaining my work but this lack of respect is childish and trivial. So, first off let me explain how I did it:

I initially turned the form knowing a wanted a final result that was chunky, well rounded and heavy in the hand, feels really nice too. Once turned I then scorched/burned the entire bowl to force cracks, I also wanted to change the entire clour of the wood so I sanded the burn back with fine 800 grit. I then turned all the grooves, outside showing a transition from base to rim, with relief in the middle to show the wood, then increasing in frequency at the rim. Again, increasing from frequency from the centre of the bowl to the rim. I then heavily stained the entire piece with red to get a deep burgundy/brown tone with added highlights on the rim, finally I added a little white to the centre of the bowl to create a lighter pink, final touch was to apply friction polish, a little torching to get rid of any fibres then a final gentle rub with FP.

The bowl represents my thoughts on the concept of hope. I continue to experience mental health issues the primary of these being depression. The bowl is coloured to represent the dark, abnormal dreams my medication enduces and the weight represents the weight on my mind. The rings in and around the bowl represent the diferent ebs and flows of my thought process and the highlighted red rim represents my favourite colour and the connection to the human form (blood). The light/pink centre of the bowl represents the body/flesh and hope itself. I have added a little bead to the centre now and this represents the centre of all hope.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Much kindness to you all,

Lee.

To me, that's always the problem with art - whether it be music or a painting, or whatever. The artist comes at it from a different angle and he/she's the only one who can truly appreciate what it's saying.

Personally, I very much like the idea and the outer shape, but not the cracks. To me, and again it could be the photo's, they spoil it a bit.

That is a rather personalised piece then Lee,and now you have explained what it is i can see where you're coming from.
I would say that you acheived what you wanted to do with the piece,but it does remind me more of a crown green bowl ,which was my very first thought when i first saw this piece:?

Hello Lee.

I like the outside shape of this but i think as usual you go over the top with decoration.
I know you have given your reasons behind the making of this piece but the mean very little to me.
I never take any interest in in the meaning of a piece i like it if it looks good.
I own two of Mark Sangers Japanese pieces and there is a lot of philosophy behind them.I have them because i like the look of them and for no other reason.
This makes me a very bad critic of anything that has to be partly judged on the philosophy or reasons behind it.
With this piece if you had turned it the nice simple shape that it is outside and turned the inside the same i would have liked it .
for me all the rings around the inside and outside spoil a nice little bowl.
This is only my taste Lee .
Your work as i said in a recent PM to you has come on in leaps and bounds but sometimes i think you are trying to run before you can walk.
I think you are at a stage i was a few years ago i did not know when to stop.I also churned out loads and loads of what i consider now to have been poor stuff.
As you know i am very involved with Mark Sanger with my work and one of the first things he taught me was to make less but make every bit a bit better than the last one.
That was the best advise i have ever been given.

Regards George

George Foweraker":h7um9o2u said:
As you know i am very involved with Mark Sanger with my work and one of the first things he taught me was to make less but make every bit a bit better than the last one.
That was the best advise i have ever been given.

I think most of us can take something from that George.

Hi,

Thank you all for the supportive comments.

You're all correct of course, I'm dancing around like a blue pineappled flee not knowing where I'm going or what I'm really doing but man is this turning business exciting or what?

No doubt in about a years time or so i'll settle down and start producing work of a more controlled and restrained form but until then - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Have fun every1.

Lee.

Hi George,

I think the lathe may last longer than me :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot from someone who knows what there talking about and as you work so closely with Mark, I also take his words seriously too.

A general thanks to all as I usually do, you've all been very patient with me when I guess at times you'd rather I just kept quiet! Sorry if I also appear to be abusing the forum with my posts but I'm just an excited chap trying to get to the best of my ability :p

Aw the best,

Lee.

You go for it Lee, you'll find it calms down a bit (just a little) when people start asking you to make things and you have to make what they want, not what you fancy at the time. In the meantime keep going, it's all good practice and you are so obviously enjoying yourself which is 75% of the slope

Pete

Back