Black swan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoki4691

Established Member
Reaction score
I built a small boat, a kayak made ​​of wood. I used strips of mahogany and walnut

xQHorY8l.jpg

FpxQWznl.jpg

4CseGFsl.jpg

Bs9pbPPl.jpg

Pv8Z6Xcl.jpg

AhXzInil.jpg

LpxdnNZl.jpg

GIhyy89l.jpg

p3kwz4Cl.jpg

jGseWMMl.jpg

BzXWSYcl.jpg

9cbdC9Cl.jpg

hrHaTQcl.jpg

VaRM9tu.jpg

hZtDskr.jpg

GUhm0iC.jpg

WnGiES2.jpg

VFpypMP.jpg

HyG6FME.jpg

BO1mmVL.jpg

Oz8KYKK.jpg

dH3k6tj.jpg

Yx5ivER.jpg

3uT1oI3.jpg

I1eqrEN.jpg

0JLD1LV.jpg

4jxRlZf.jpg

ZvpBH0q.jpg

JP2dQ0s.jpg

7oHC1NH.jpg

fmnEF2V.jpg

Thnx
Zoran

There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that's prettier than a well made wooden boat.

Congratulations!

custard":cm1q5ojn said:
There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that's prettier than a well made wooden boat.

Congratulations!

Thanx, I did it all in a week of hard work. I am very happy with the result and why and what. The kayak is 21 feet and finished weighs just over 20kg.
gHx7VQX.jpg

8YptdLp.jpg

NfLMZsv.jpg

oVrj0iK.jpg

vnFQfis.jpg

HjQAtOc.jpg

1tBdtuV.jpg

UarY6sZ.jpg

7aXRSLk.jpg

kJ6HtB1.jpg

YY9Y1E8.jpg

Dr1TWz7.jpg

IEKMvE3.jpg

aAv5o9z.jpg

xejKmc7.jpg

OMwmGVn.jpg

Very nice. I wish I had the skill and patience to do something like that.

I agree, it's utterly lovely. I see that you've made the frame, laid the strips on the frame, however if doesn't look like there's space for someone to sit in it. Do you cut out space for legs and a seat later on? Also do you remove the central beam?

Is it a sea kayak? Or one for lakes/rivers etc?

morfa":b8c5gne1 said:
I agree, it's utterly lovely. I see that you've made the frame, laid the strips on the frame, however if doesn't look like there's space for someone to sit in it. Do you cut out space for legs and a seat later on? Also do you remove the central beam?

Is it a sea kayak? Or one for lakes/rivers etc?

This is a sea kayak. It seems that there legroom, but not so.
It calculated per person up to 85 kg. Frame inside is not removed yet. Everything is open along the green strip, and after removing the frame.
Thanks for the questions.
Zoran

@zoki 4691:

Wow lovely work! How did you get the edges of each individual plank to match with the next one? By hand plane?

And (sorry, daft question) in one of the 1st pix, your B&D Workmate looks much bigger & squarer than any I've ever seen before. Where did you get it please? And could you post a pic of just the Workmate please?

Thanks
AES

AES":2n1la11h said:
@zoki 4691:

Wow lovely work! How did you get the edges of each individual plank to match with the next one? By hand plane?

And (sorry, daft question) in one of the 1st pix, your B&D Workmate looks much bigger & squarer than any I've ever seen before. Where did you get it please? And could you post a pic of just the Workmate please?

Thanks
AES

Thanks AES.
Each strip after gluing I sanded with a belt sander and then fine polished with random orbital sander.

Hehehe :oops: , Workmate 2000 I bought 17 years ago and I'm glad for the purchase (I think that most do not).
To post pictures in a little one of my other work where you can easily see WM 2000.
Thanks
Zoran

LJM":3v17r7aa said:
Very nice work! Did you design it yourself, from scratch?

Yes, and my drawing. The fact with Kfoundry.
But not this.
Take it from a design in a real object, and was an immense satisfaction.
I'm just very fond of at that piece of wood.
I promised that never will touch water.
Wet it would be a sin?
Thanks
Zoran

Good Evening Zoran
Can I just say that is truly awesome and a very good choice of timber as it compliments it well

I am planning on building a Kayak this summer too . Only difference will be that I am going to be using bead a cove strips of Contrasting Cedar . My aim is for a sea Kayak too but have some good still waters near me .

Kind regards Sam

Dusty":i6oj6r6f said:
Good Evening Zoran
Can I just say that is truly awesome and a very good choice of timber as it compliments it well

I am planning on building a Kayak this summer too . Only difference will be that I am going to be using bead a cove strips of Contrasting Cedar . My aim is for a sea Kayak too but have some good still waters near me .

Kind regards Sam

Sam.
I'm glad for the choice of the project. If you have any questions, or if you need any help ask me ?

Zoran

Wow Zoki !

I can hardly believe my eyes... that is so beautiful !

Can you show how you made the cover/skin- how you jointed the edges & what tools you used please?

..it looks like it is paper thin on top - is it?

How many years have you been making them?

You must be very proud..& rightly so.

Togs

Togalosh":3h5cqwmk said:
Wow Zoki !

I can hardly believe my eyes... that is so beautiful !

Can you show how you made the cover/skin- how you jointed the edges & what tools you used please?

..it looks like it is paper thin on top - is it?

How many years have you been making them?

You must be very proud..& rightly so.

Togs

Togs thnx
I used a simple printer paper size A4. After drawing fate to the computer, I had printed A4 sheets and after they joined together.
Cut with the jigsaw and all holes I did with the router Festo OF2000.
The central recess done with the circular saw Festo AT 65 EB at the track, which cut and came very precise.
On the photos, (I used another type of transparent paper because, I bought another project in the USA)
I showed how to make the outlines of another two-seater kayak along 6.30 m.
thnx

qI0HK2f.jpg

9t1SrBQ.jpg

lemRgHS.jpg

DAS5TUZ.jpg

cFuPeuH.jpg

lohIqB8.jpg

XJghXfN.jpg

nDWgudS.jpg

JREb53R.jpg

@zoki:

+ another 1 for the WOW!

I don't pretend to know or understand anything at all about boats of any kind but the job overall and those formers you show now look like lovely high-precision work, especially the centre "hole".

Congratulations Sir.

AES

AES":10wnjx43 said:
@zoki:

+ another 1 for the WOW!

I don't pretend to know or understand anything at all about boats of any kind but the job overall and those formers you show now look like lovely high-precision work, especially the centre "hole".

Congratulations Sir.

AES

Do precise work and the question of choice. A good tool like FESTO AT 65 EB only gives you a "hand" in most.
thanks AES

Back