bench ideas.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a few pictures of mine to maybe give ideas of what (not) to do. :D It won't suit everyone, but it suits me.

To give newbies a bit of hope, the frame was made without a bench as such - I used the flat surface of my lathe bench as I realised at the time that that was going to be as flat and solid as I could get. I also only had two sash cramps, hence the pegged mortice and tenons. I didn't at that time have a mortice chisel, a mortice gauge, a mallet or luxuries like that as they were packed up to move. I also built it from a wheelchair. The top I kept from the bench before - for reasons I won't go into I had to leave the frame behind. Hopefully it'll raise a question or two, and give people an idea (positive or negative) for their own. It's my third, and I've now got something that suits me. Feel free to fire questions or comments at me. Sorry about the 90 degree skewed pics. :D

Hello,

That looks like a good sturdy and not overly fussy bench. It would serve anyone well.

I've been meaning to post some pics of mine, and this has prompted me to do it. Might take some photos tomorrow. Ironically I made a fine bench about 15 years ago, and it is still in use. But I took it to the school workshop I work at, so when I wanted a bench for my home shop, I had to build it without a bench! I think people might find it interesting, though. My tail vice is, I'm fairly certain, totally unique. I think there might be a bit of a backlash from a few here, who think anything more than a bit of driftwood on a wobbly trestle is overly ostentatious. But it suits me, I'll prepare myself for the flack! It shows that you can make something quite well made without a bench to start off with.

Mike.

A bench is on my to do list, once the shed is finished, so many thanks very interesting. What's the top made out of and how thick is it?

T.i.a

Fitz.

Looks good, I am half way through making my smaller, lighter bench, I have back trouble so will be making it higher to save on the bending. The M&T's are awful and would not dare show them on here.

My bench is 40+" high and it's great, having worked at lower benches (my father in law has a 34" ish bench despite being a 6'6" leviathan of a man) I really appreciate the height. The 32" benches which seem to be in fashion across the pond must be murder to work on.

Nice bench phil, I like the stretcher half way up the legs, it must be very sturdy. Very impressed you built that without a bench and from a wheelchair, serious ingenuity required I assume.

That looks very functional, Phil. I bet that mahogany top is rock solid to work on.

If I may be so bold as to post my own; I've long thought we should have a "show us your bench" thread....

Chopping the mortises in the legs:

CC757EE1-F931-4D30-94FF-740E3036574E-1935-00000486B104D519.jpg

Housings and notches cut into the aprons to receive the legs:

CBC993F7-1B1C-46EF-9560-46F65185EB8C-1935-00000486C1DA68CE.jpg

One apron fitted to the leg frames:

8C155D53-E4BE-4DD3-B974-295450B1E33F-1935-00000486D1091E7A.jpg

Flattening the top:

D5B9A8BD-8B2E-4EA9-92CE-FAE2FE9B8856-1935-00000486F15A1DA7.jpg

Sort-of finished. I've added a shelf between the legs since this was taken:

E12A40B7-C401-4063-B0B1-8AA5B4912554-1099-000001E919D95DC4.jpg

Dave, i like the bench. I like how you've made the apron and right leg are flush so you can continue the line of dog holes. The top is made of two individual pieces of timber, what's the timber and the dimensions?

F.

And here's mine.

056c0f75873d52e597942883d44ae5c9.jpg

Top is a mix of C16 edged with beech. Base is redwood. Legs are approx 150x100 and stretchers are 150 by 50ish. Pegged M&T construction. I intend to add an extra bit of bench top to fill in the tool well which I find to be a nuisance.

The observant amongst you will notice that is currently in a marquee which is my temporary handtool workshop and assembly + finishing area! Machines are in the dining room.

Yes, horses for courses - I did mine differently as I didn't want an apron. I can support anything on a shelf bracket in the leg or the deadman. Mine started life with an 8" well but when I did this frame I decided to do away with it (and circumstances being what they are it needed to be narrower anyway).The stop I initially had running down the centre was a copy of one I'd seen with slots for tools but I didn't get on with that so I made a solid one. It's only softwood - it's sacrificial, really - but to me it was the single biggest improvement. It is so handy having a stop right up the middle - and of course it turns over if not needed. my top is screwed down with steel brackets on the cross members, it's not caused the slightest problem and it makes it easy to take off - I knew when I built it first that it would be moved at least once it's on its fourth. It takes a good man to cart the one timber with 53e about let alone the whole bench.

Mike - Funny you wish to fill in the well - I did away with mine. They are to me nothing more than a nuisance.

:idea: Just a thought - anyone replying to any post on this thread would be wise to include the person's name, otherwise in a page or two no one will know whose post you're answering and the comment might become pointless. :idea:

Fitzroy":3cklqwqh said:
Dave, i like the bench. I like how you've made the apron and right leg are flush so you can continue the line of dog holes. The top is made of two individual pieces of timber, what's the timber and the dimensions?

F.

Thanks Fitzroy. Having the apron and legs flush is really handy for clamping up doors, wide panels etc. The top is made from two ash boards, around 11 to 12" wide and about 2-1/2" thick. It wasn't worth ripping them to any specific dimension, I just planed them up square. The bench is 6-1/2' long, 2' deep and 36" high

The original height of my bench was 32". A while ago I raised it to 34" and find this a very comfortable height - I'm 5' 10".

John

DTR":zylnrb2c said:
mikefab":zylnrb2c said:
Machines are in the dining room.

Been there...... More than once :lol:

The wood for my future workbench. Taking up half the upstairs office!
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 79
Hello,

I finally took some photos of my home workshop bench. Some may find these interesting.

DSCF2114.JPG

DSCF2122.JPG

DSCF2127.JPG

DSCF2116.JPG

DSCF2121.JPG

The cabinet base was a re-purposed kitchen unit I made but did not use. The opening for the place a Belfast sink was to go was handy for the shoulder vice mechanism to go. Originally, the base was to have 2 sets of double cupboards. I retained one set and fitted drawers where the others were to go. The large drawers next to the sink opening were origianlly intended, but I had space to add 2 small drawers for chisels, right next to where the vice now is. There is nothing really remarkable about the base, though it is fancier than necessary, as it was not originally a bench.

The interesting bit, I think, is the tail vice design. I have never seen one like this. I wanted to use Veritas planing stops in the tail vice dog holes. The reason for this is, I wanted to clamp panels or frames onto the bench top for planing, without them popping out of single bench dogs, and without having to use hold downs. I can plane frames longitudinally and transversly, without the panels moving at all. Using scrub planes at a diagonal is easy and very solid. Power sanding does not vibrate the panels at all. I designed the tail vice in a 'U' shape to allow the planing stops to fit in two sets of holes. i devised a way that the vice would accomodate the seasonal movement of the benchtop, and move with it. Unfortunately, the long veritas planing stops are unavailable in this country, for some unknown reason, I was only able to get the short and medium sizes. I made some longer ones from 3/4 inch Tee track, and turned some stainless steel posts to locate in the dog holes. These work well, but are 1/2 in high rather than the Veritas under 1/4, which means I cannot plane thinner stock, but for most purposes, they are fine. maybe one day I'll import some long ones from Canada.

Mike.

Attachments

• DSCF2114.JPG
    DSCF2114.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2122.JPG
    DSCF2122.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2127.JPG
    DSCF2127.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2116.JPG
    DSCF2116.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2121.JPG
    DSCF2121.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 73
I think all three of you deserve =D> I hope I find the courage to post a pic of mine when complete.

Latest posts

Back