Beech Hollow Form-For Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Beech hollow form 5 1/2" tall without finial,just over 8" with it. The finial is two piece the stem is made from yew and the ebonised lid from the bit left in the chuck after parting off the form.
beech.jpg

Your critiques appreciated
cheers JT

JT, simply a lovely piece of work, the ebonized lid fits very well with the hollow form, as well as the finial does.
Very well done.
Ad

The finish of the form looks excellent but the base of the form is too large in diameter for the proportion of the piece.
The finial just looks like a handle and reminds me of some sort of loo brush would be lurking below- i cant tell its yew as theres not enough contrast with the colour of the beech-seeing as you've got ebonised parts maybe the finial should have been beech-
imo to call it a hollow form is incorrect its a lidded form or vase.

of course all this is just my opinion and if you like it and enjoyed making it- thats all that matters.... but you did ask for an honest critique :roll:

Nicely done.

I might have made the base a little smaller and the shoulders a touch more horizontal.

Not sure the finial is right, too long perhaps, makes the whole thing look like some sort of fruit with a stalk. Also the shape of the finial has no relationship with the shape of the hollow form.

Not at all bad though.

Love the shape of the hollow/vase/open form Johnny but i feel the finial just doesn't match it. :(
As George said it resembles an handle of some sort.
Been plain Beech also i think it would look nice and effective if the main body was all ebonised,and perhaps with the Yew,in a different shape on the top still.
I won't comment on the base as i seem to have problems with the bases meself :roll:
Nice varied work coming from you :D

Well Johnny, form an armature turner such as myself I can only say it’s a very stunning piece. Particularly like the light/dark contrast you’ve achieved with the piece. Look forward to seeing the next :)

Thanks Ad :D glad you like it.

Finial, thanks,the base was left a little wider for stability, I usually put small bases on(like the pic below) but then things fall over much too easily.
Dylan32dayswoods002.jpg

Paul,cheers, the piece of yew for the finial was chosen as it was a very light coloured piece and pretty much matches the colour of the 'darkish' piece of beech,it wasn't used for any attempt at contrast, thats what the ebonised bits are for.
Santos, thanks 8) much appreciated.

JT

Now that is good. I see that you would want more stability, I think somewhere between the two.

johnny.t.":8j2mz6nl said:
Thanks Ad :D glad you like it.

Finial, thanks,the base was left a little wider for stability, I usually put small bases on(like the pic below) but then things fall over much too easily.
Dylan32dayswoods002.jpg

Paul,cheers, the piece of yew for the finial was chosen as it was a very light coloured piece and pretty much matches the colour of the 'darkish' piece of beech,it wasn't used for any attempt at contrast, thats what the ebonised bits are for.
Santos, thanks 8) much appreciated.

JT
Johnny, I agree with you a bit wider base is better for stability, I really don't understand why many woodturners turning the base so small, had in the past many discussions on that point, and got also many comments on the fact that my hollow forms had a wider base.

Latest posts

Back