Bandsaw help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forums so please be gentle :D I'm getting started in woodwork and have a desire to build wooden toys and puzzles for my Grandchildren using some of the great Les Neufeld designs. I've got loads of plans obviously starting with simple and working my way up. Now I need a bandsaw (amongst a belt/disc sander and drillpress), that is able to cut a 5inch block of hardwood. I've trolled through loads of reviews and am wanting to talk to people that are using the equipment rather than just a one off review and there are a lot of conflicting stories. So what are your opinions on a FOX F28-191 bandsaw? I am working to a fairly strict budget of around £500 for all three tools. Any and all advice is most welcome.

Go good old machinery. I have a wadkin MZF 16 inch bandsaw. Built like a Panzer tank, could cut titanium and still works like new even thought it was made in the 1950's. Got it for £200. Just shows what you can get if you look around. Try E-bay, that can have bargains on.

There are a few on ebay but I know nothing about what to look for or avoid ... I did see a Metabo BAS 317 for £270
Doesn't look too bad but again, don't know enough about them .. once again opinions welcome

Google the various machines you would like and look for reviews and posts on forums like this. Do a search on here for info.

I don't know about that particular machine, but the Fox brand in general is built to a budget. As with most things, you get what you pay for.
I would also advocate going good second-hand. But yes, that does mean you have to know what you are buying. But the BS is a fairly simple machine. If the bearings are good and it starts, and it has fairly user-friendly guide-bearing, then you should be able to get it to cut properly.
I can't stress how important it is to get the right blade for the job, however. It is not a case of one-size-fits-all. Go to Ian John at Tuffsaws for your blades. Tell him what you want to do and he will sell you the right blade for the job at far too low a price.
Then get your BS set up properly and away you go!
S

I've been looking at a number of bench tools on ebay and the like ... hopefully have a bandsaw by the end of the week .. just got to sort out the drill press and belt/disc sander ... not many old machines around though and the cost of a courier is pretty high as well ...

My mate bought a cheap Rexon for around £70 second hand and I thought it would be pants, but having seen it this weekend it actually cuts straight and well and he's had up to 5 inch cuts out of it, albeit lime wood, which is not like oak. I know the smaller Axi's are well thought of and you can get a Kity 613 secondhand for around the £150-200 mark which are very good (I've got one and it's a workhorse). As always, good advice is to join a club and try out different equipment. That's a good route to good secondhand kit as well. Good luck.

The Metabo BAS 317 will struggle to cut 5" hardwood, I had the predecessor the BAS315 and gave up on it cutting anything above 4". I think you need to look for something more powerful with a bigger height under the guides (depth of cut). Most of the cheaper BS struggle to cut anything close to the their maximum depth of cut. As Steve says they tend to be built to a budget. My advice go for a good condition secondhand one and ideally one you can try out before committing to buy it. Even some of the sellers on eBay offer a come and look before bidding option.

Back