Ash (calabash?) bowl: Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Found a lump of ash in the workshop so made this up. It's 6 1/2" dia. and 4" tall. finished with MC wax.
There's a mark in the bottom of the bowl that looks all the world like a sanding or tool mark but it is not, it's a very annoying mark in the wood that I spent ages trying to remove before I realised what it was

Critique welcome

Pete

Neat classic shape Pete, wood has just enough character to add that little bit of embellishment that makes a simple piece into an object of interest.
I take it you are getting on well with the MC wax?

CHJ":3r6aglw7 said:
Neat classic shape Pete, wood has just enough character to add that little bit of embellishment that makes a simple piece into an object of interest.
I take it you are getting on well with the MC wax?

Thanks Chas, I use it on things that are likely to be handles a lot. This is very much one of those bowls that gets picked up and fiddled with so used it. Too expensive to put on everything :lol:

I've added a critique to the title by the way. Time someone picked holes in my work

Pete

I really like the look of that bowl, Pete - there is something about the shape that makes me want to pick it up and hold it.

The detail of the knot in the side works well too - adding a nice bit of interest to a very well executed piece.

I do know what you mean about annoying marks in ash - I once spent ages trying to remove what looked like a sanding mark from the lid of an ash box. It just wouldn't go away even when I took some more light cuts with a gouge. It was only when I examined the base part of the box more closely that I realised the mark went all the way through the piece of wood and was scarily concentric enough on the top of the lid that it look just like a sanding scratch. I hid it by decorating the lid with some grooves in the end.

Kym

Looks great to me, love the sloping rim.

I don't know the absolute definition of a calabash, but I see you have posted on WOW - i'm sure Kelly Dunn will be along there to confirm, he seems to be "The Calabash Man"

I see some wax in the open grain in the knot on the rim i think :)

Regs

Laurence

loz":31r8covk said:
Looks great to me, love the sloping rim.

I don't know the absolute definition of a calabash, but I see you have posted on WOW - i'm sure Kelly Dunn will be along there to confirm, he seems to be "The Calabash Man"

I see some wax in the open grain in the knot on the rim i think :)

Regs

Laurence

I'm sure he will Loz, partly why I posted there, don't that often as they are mostly so much better than me feel like a novice. Just checked for the wax and it is clean, must be sunshine. :lol:

Pete

Hi Pete,

The shape of this piece is beautiful, the knot adds a lovely bit of character, and I love the tiny inward slope on the rim, very well done indeed.

I see the mark your on about and it does look like it shouldn't be there, another bit of character if you ask me.

Nice finish too although a lot of sun stops me appreciating your finish in it's fullest.

Sorry, but I have nothing negative to say about this piece. :)

That's nice Pete. First glance I thought you'd pyro'd that grain at the front until I looked on a bigger monitor :p
Steve

Back