Another “what’s that for” thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Further adventures in bootfair-land resulted in me bringing home this little oddity:
2wA4bXg.jpg

I thought it might be for cutting leather washers in a brace or perhaps some kind of expansive bit but wondered if someone on here <cough>Andy</cough> might know for sure?

Have a close look at the tip of the scriber. Does it look as though something is missing?
Its either a tank cutter as Phil said, or it might have had a small diamond on the end and be used for cutting holes in tiles for pipes to go through

Just for clarity, the 'tank' in question is usually of the domestic water variety made of thinnish sheet metal or moulded plastic, not a device with caterpillar tracks and a big swivelly gun on top. You probably could cut a hole in one of the second with the device shown, but it might take a while.

sunnybob":15s7zody said:
Have a close look at the tip of the scriber. Does it look as though something is missing?
Its either a tank cutter as Phil said, or it might have had a small diamond on the end and be used for cutting holes in tiles for pipes to go through

Nope, definitely not for cutting holes in tiles.

I haven't seen one quite like that before. I guess the square collar above the cutter with the thumb screw is wedge shaped and locks the cutter bar at the required radius. I'm also guessing there's a grub screw on the other side that holds the drill bit?
It would be nearly 50 years since I used one of these on the farm for putting inlets and outlets in corrugated iron water tanks.
Nice find.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Boringgeoff":3ulnm4w6 said:
I haven't seen one quite like that before. I guess the square collar above the cutter with the thumb screw is wedge shaped and locks the cutter bar at the required radius. I'm also guessing there's a grub screw on the other side that holds the drill bit?
It would be nearly 50 years since I used one of these on the farm for putting inlets and outlets in corrugated iron water tanks.
Nice find.
Cheers,
Geoff.
You’ve described it to a tee Geoff even down to the square tapered boss and screw to hold the bit in place. Now the question has been answered it will be added to my ever expanding set of brace bits :)

It's a slippery slope Memzey, but there are not enough brace tool collectors in the world. Here are some of my tank and washer cutters.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Tank cutter 001.png
    Tank cutter 001.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 770
This topic has raised another query in my mind. You will see that Memsey's tank cutter has the cutting edge on the inner side of the cutter where the one I have attached here is on the outer. Memsey's would appear to cut with the clean edge on the inside as in making a washer, whereas mine would leave the clean edge on the outer as when cutting a hole. Clear as mud?
All the t/c's I've seen have a similar profile to mine, any ideas or am I over thinking this?
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Tank cutter 002.png
    Tank cutter 002.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 767
memzey":3oddo6ox said:
I wondered if someone on here <cough>Andy</cough> might know for sure?

I've been on holiday, with patchy mobile coverage, so I've not seen the forum every day.

But I think it's a tank cutter! :D

Great stuff everyone thanks. If that’s a tank cutter is this for cutting washers then?
jmRHE0r.jpg

These oddities keep following me home...

As arranged in the photo, it will cut a disc. Reverse the inner cutter to make a washer. But don't be tempted to "correct" the lengths of the cutters - they do need to be different lengths so that the inner one cuts first, leaving the leather supported by the "background" as the outer cut is made.

Back