Would a Coronet Mayor lathe be worth buying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems all that turning the handwheel does is draw the inside bit backwards until it seats fully, I don't see how I can get the thing to move forward. I thus figured on this lathe it was just for locking things down.

Then it just unscrews and falls off. Only way I get it to turn in is if I screw it the other direction and press on with my hand on the center thread. Requires some force and can sometimes require a knock to loose if I tighten it too much the other way.

I assume the way I am using it is how it is meant to. It's an extremely simple tailstock, others perhaps have some spring arrangement or completely different setup that allows for moving it back and forth easily via the handwheel.

Dennis
Have tried to email you to see if you would like a copy of the manual plus some other assorted Coronet Major & Minor bumph.

If you are interested, send me your email address. :)

Hi I was just going to ask for it infact, only got home from the hospital today so I haven't had any use for the manual until now. got your mail and will reply.

Well I finally got the lathe up and running at home. Just a phone picture of it set up, not sure if I want to keep it permanently at that bench, but it is very heavy to lift! Not sure what to do.

ZHXt54fh.jpg

Also scored an old lamp for 5 euros, need to get more of these and put them around the band saw and drill press too, real nice to have.

Dennis, I've sent two emails because the first with the PDF manual is 5.4MB so will take a little time to download.

Almost set fire to a part last night due to friction against the tailstock. Man it got so hot I wonder about the tempering of the dead center.

At any rate, bought an MT1 live centre from germany. Also building a new motor mount so I can fit this 3-phase 1400 rpm motor I got for it.

Hi

I won a Coronet Headstock on Ebay that was poorly described as a motor! :oops: I paid £15 for it and don't think I was robbed!! :wink:

I knew it was a lathe but wasn't sure what type, The bars, Tailstock and rest are missing but I actually bid on it for the motor an switchgear!!

Coronet%203_zpswueatoye.jpg

Coronet%202_zpsswy3n2q9.jpg

The chap that listed it actually plugged it in and showed it me working! I may cut some 40mm bar at work then keep an eye on ebay for the other bits needed to build it back in to a lathe!! 8) 8)

Cheers, John :p

Followup question on this. I want to replace the belt with a power twist link belt instead. Anyone know what type the factory belts are on these lathes so I know which one to get?

I've also fitted a 3-phase motor with a homemade tilting mount, the rod is to be cut off yet in the pictures. This one's 1400rpm so much more suitable and i can fit an inverter in the future:
o63chU0h.jpg

niwvng0h.jpg

Turned a french roll pin from oak on it. I also fitted a live center on the tail stock, a dead center is a dreadful thing...

z6ocreSh.jpg

Robbo3":263943bc said:
Dennis
Have tried to email you to see if you would like a copy of the manual plus some other assorted Coronet Major & Minor bumph.

If you are interested, send me your email address. :)
Hello Robbo3
I am new to site and in the process of buying a coronet major, (not received it yet) would it be possible to have a copy of manual, bumf etc. and how much are they? Is it possible to fit 4 jaw chuck to headstock?

Choca":1alpa12d said:
I am new to site and in the process of buying a coronet major, (not received it yet) would it be possible to have a copy of manual, bumf etc. and how much are they? Is it possible to fit 4 jaw chuck to headstock?
You will have to email me your email address as you can't PM.
On a PC, left click on my avatar & choose the icon that isn't an envelope (email & PM have icons wrong way round).
Yes you can fit a chuck. Check the threads, some were 7/8" x 16 rather than 3/4" x 16.

Back