Workshop Layout - help / inspiration needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doogs

Reaction score
Morning,
I'm looking for help in laying out my workshop.

Space available
I have part of my double garage available as a dedicated workshop area. See blank plan below. The clear area is 2800mm wide by 4000mm long but, I need access to a set of shelving down the middle of the garage as shown below.
blanklayout.jpg

Current Setup
My current setup includes a workbench along the back wall (2100mm x 660mm) - its on lockable castors so can be moved anywhere. There is also an old metal framed workbench that I'm probably going to ditch. Currently located on the side wall (1500mm x 600mm) - its not on wheels. See layout below.
current layout.jpg

New items to be included
I am planning on building an MFT (1200mm x 800mm) It will be on lockable castors. I will also be building a mitre saw table (720mm x 600mm). Again on lockable castors. Everything is going to be 900mm high as that's the optimum height for me. I've shown the two new items on the plan below. I will probably be putting cabinets on the wall (back and side) at some point but i've not figured that out yet.
newitems.jpg

Questions / help
I'm really needing some inspiration as to how to lay this all out. Also, suggestions for other items (tables/benches/etc). Completely open to suggestions - the only thing I'd like to keep is the large bench I currently have (2100mm x 660mm) but this is not critical if there is a better way of doing things.

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no ideal, right or wrong and it will not only depend upon your workflow but also it will change over time as you buy new machines or need to do different task. Castors are good but look at the many threads on these forums and see how others have done theres, the things to bear in mind is that for any machine you need to feed wood in and for it to exit without obstruction, the same applies to your assembly table in that it wants to allow for longer lengths without hitting anything else. At this stage try and think ahead at what you might need because allowing for it now is much easier than trying to adapt the area to accomodate later. An example here is will you need a router table or spindle moulder, if thinking of a router then look at making this part of your workbench / MFT and there are some good ideas out there.

Unfortunately there is no ideal, right or wrong and it will not only depend upon your workflow but also it will change over time as you buy new machines or need to do different task. Castors are good but look at the many threads on these forums and see how others have done theres, the things to bear in mind is that for any machine you need to feed wood in and for it to exit without obstruction, the same applies to your assembly table in that it wants to allow for longer lengths without hitting anything else. At this stage try and think ahead at what you might need because allowing for it now is much easier than trying to adapt the area to accomodate later. An example here is will you need a router table or spindle moulder, if thinking of a router then look at making this part of your workbench / MFT and there are some good ideas out there.

Thanks. I think this is part of my problem - I don't really know what my workflow is at the moment. I see a lot of YouTube videos where the main workbench is in the centre of the space and I've thought about that but, I also want to make use of the space against the two walls for cabinets.

How frequently do you need to use the garage door - there is effectively 2.8m of usable "wall" space there. Even if used daily, do you need a 2m opening, or could you place machines and storage to limit access to (say) 0.9m wide.

Also be aware that the door opening mechanism may eat into wall space at the sides (eg: up and over door mechanism).

Possible options, albeit at a cost, are to:
  • replace garage door with wall and windows over - you then have the benefit of daylight + better insulation for heating in winter
  • roller shutter door which takes up very little usable space

How frequently do you need to use the garage door - there is effectively 2.8m of usable "wall" space there. Even if used daily, do you need a 2m opening, or could you place machines and storage to limit access to (say) 0.9m wide.

Also be aware that the door opening mechanism may eat into wall space at the sides (eg: up and over door mechanism).

Possible options, albeit at a cost, are to:
  • replace garage door with wall and windows over - you then have the benefit of daylight + better insulation for heating in winter
  • roller shutter door which takes up very little usable space
Thanks. The garage door is the only way into the garage. Its an up and over type and my space measurements accommodate the mechanism. I could place stuff in front of the door. My main wall space at the moment is the back wall (2.8m) and the side wall (4m). Replacing the garage door is not a viable option.

I have too much stuff in a single garage. The problem with having several interests.
The only way I can get this to work is like a galley kitchen with walkway / standing aisle down the middle and benches / storage / machines along the two long walls.

I've chosen a heavy tablesaw to be my primary machine. A 2m outfeed table is also my bench and assembly table. The remainder of that wall has a pillar drill and sharpening.

The opposite wall is split into thirds. First (small) third is lost to a solar installation, the middle third to a 2nd bench with lots of storage, and final third to a large (metal) lathe.

Someone else could adapt this idea by swapping a wood lathe in for the metal one, could put a P/T in place of the smaller bench and shove the bench to the end, could choose a bandsaw over my big Fobco floostanding drill.

Tricks that help me are:
to have shallow storage all over the walls
to have a dust extractor that fits under the outfeed
to have storage under all benches
to have a mitre saw on a rolling stand so that I can pull it outdoors to use it and doesn't take bench space.
to have my most used power tools in cases clipped on the top of the shop vac so that stack is easily moved out of the way.

Last edited:
I have too much stuff in a single garage. The problem with having several interests.
The only way I can get this to work is like a galley kitchen with walkway / standing aisle down the middle and benches / storage / machines along the two long walls.

I've chosen a heavy tablesaw to be my primary machine. A 2m outfeed table is also my bench and assembly table. The remainder of that wall has a pillar drill and sharpening.

The opposite wall is split into thirds. First (small) third is lost to a solar installation, the middle third to a 2nd bench with lots of storage, and final third to a large (metal) lathe.

Someone else could adapt this idea by swapping a wood lathe in for the metal one, could put a P/T in place of the smaller and bench and shove the bench to the end, could choose a bandsaw over my big Fobco floostanding drill.

Tricks that help me are:
to have shallow storage all over the walls
to have a dust extractor that fits under the outfeed
to have storage under all benches
to have a mitre saw on a rolling stand so that I can pull it outdoors to use it and doesn't take bench space.
to have my most used power tools in cases clipped on the top of the shop vac so that stack is easily moved out of the way.
Thanks for the insight. Some things there for me to think about. I'm thinking I should be combining my MFT (aka tracksaw table) with another table which could function as my bench and assembly table.

I'm a big fan of this aluminium profile. Costly here in the UK so something to keep eyes open for used. This bench which has a full width drawer loads up with about 1/4 ton between the toolboxes on the bottom shelf and the heavy surfaces used on top.

20240426_140648.jpg

Heavier gauge profile will frame the planned, new 2.0m bench.

I'm a big fan of this aluminium profile. Costly here in the UK so something to keep eyes open for used. This bench which has a full width drawer loads up with about 1/4 ton between the toolboxes on the bottom shelf and the heavy surfaces used on top.

View attachment 180937

Heavier gauge profile will frame the planned, new 2.0m bench.
Thanks. Do you have any further details on the manufacturer of the frame? Looks interesting and something I’d like to investigate further.

If you search aluminium profile you soon find

https://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/

https://www.123-3d.co.uk/123-3D-Alu...sion-1m-length-123-3D-brand-i1373-t14575.html

https://ooznest.co.uk/product-category/extrusion-mechanics/extrusions/

https://www.boschrexroth.com/en/gb/...opics/aluminum-profiles-solutions-components/

This material can work out expensive once you add in brackets and fasteners but gives a quick simple build. Common with people making 3d printers, engravers, routers etc but for a workbench for woodwork it is just as easy and cheaper to build a solid wooden bench. I used it when designing test platforms for many different components and systems as it was quick and adaptable plus I was not paying for it. Easy to add servo's, pnuematic rams and the like to deliver a complete solution with National Instruments interfaces and Labview software.

Morning,

Space available
I have part of my double garage available as a dedicated workshop area. See blank plan below. The clear area is 2800mm wide by 4000mm long but, I need access to a set of shelving down the middle of the garage as shown below.
View attachment 180914
Current Setup
My current setup includes a workbench along the back wall (2100mm x 660mm) - its on lockable castors so can be moved anywhere. There is also an old metal framed workbench that I'm probably going to ditch. Currently located on the side wall (1500mm x 600mm) - its not on wheels. See layout below.
View attachment 180915
New items to be included
I am planning on building an MFT (1200mm x 800mm) It will be on lockable castors. I will also be building a mitre saw table (720mm x 600mm). Again on lockable castors. Everything is going to be 900mm high as that's the optimum height for me. I've shown the two new items on the plan below. I will probably be putting cabinets on the wall (back and side) at some point but i've not figured that out yet.
View attachment 180916

Questions / help
I'm really needing some inspiration as to how to lay this all out. Also, suggestions for other items (tables/benches/etc). Completely open to suggestions - the only thing I'd like to keep is the large bench I currently have (2100mm x 660mm) but this is not critical if there is a better way of doing things.

Took me 5 years to eventually be happy with my layout. It's been 9 years with no major changes. Hard to give advice as the work flow is unique to every shop.

If you search aluminium profile you soon find

https://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/

https://www.123-3d.co.uk/123-3D-Alu...sion-1m-length-123-3D-brand-i1373-t14575.html

https://ooznest.co.uk/product-category/extrusion-mechanics/extrusions/

https://www.boschrexroth.com/en/gb/...opics/aluminum-profiles-solutions-components/

This material can work out expensive once you add in brackets and fasteners but gives a quick simple build. Common with people making 3d printers, engravers, routers etc but for a workbench for woodwork it is just as easy and cheaper to build a solid wooden bench. I used it when designing test platforms for many different components and systems as it was quick and adaptable plus I was not paying for it. Easy to add servo's, pnuematic rams and the like to deliver a complete solution with National Instruments interfaces and Labview software.
Ah ok - I thought it was a ready made solution rather than a kit of parts. Cheers.

I thought it was a ready made solution rather than a kit of parts.
It is like meccano except you cut to length and connect using the connectors provided. If you want to see a really well designed bench then look for Hooked on wood and that is made by laminating plywood.

Last edited:
Morning,

Space available
Current Setup

New items to be included

Questions / help

Doogs, what machines are going in?

You need space for assembly. Do you need space for storing timber? Is your bench for hand tool, power tools or both? Where are power- and hand tools to be stored, and what in? Dust extraction?

Combination machines save space. For example, my router table is in the slider table saw.

Group together the machines for your preferred work flow. For example, my jointer-thicknesser is close to the bandsaw. I have a slider table saw nearby.

I have a double garage. it is about 1m longer than standard. However, I need to park one car inside at night, so what you see below is just half the space (it looks larger than it is) ...

I give priority to hand tools, and my bench is dedicated to this end, and placed at the rear with space to work ..

I do have an MFT, for power tools, on locking casters, for moving around and as an outfeed. This tucks between machines at night.

My intent is not to show my workshop but to raise questions and illustrate some solutions.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. As a relative beginner I don’t have many machines. Mostly power tools and hand tools. I have a crosscut compound mitre saw, handheld router, jigsaw, drill, driver, palm sander and track saw.

I think my focus will be on the mft and an associated outfeed/assembly table, with a couple of benches around the edge and cabinets above. Wood storage has a space. Next on my list is dust extraction.

I personally would have the long bench down the middle so you can get all around it - invaluable if you have tracks longer than your wood width.

My previous tiny workshop had benches against the wall and I was continuously going outside to cut things as the track was longer than the width of my workshop!

Morning,

Space available
View attachment 180914
Current Setup
View attachment 180915
New items to be included
View attachment 180916

Questions / help

Dedicated for hobbie use only?

Thanks. The garage door is the only way into the garage. Its an up and over type and my space measurements accommodate the mechanism. I could place stuff in front of the door. My main wall space at the moment is the back wall (2.8m) and the side wall (4m). Replacing the garage door is not a viable option.

Just a thought for you (esp in light of the security thread). How about changing the doors to side-hinged security doors that open outwards.

Benefits - no more issues of the mechanism as well as extra security.

One possibility - https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/security-garage-doors/side-hinged-garage-door/

Yes hobby use only
Another vote for outward opening side hinged doors. Being able to use the ceiling and walls of my whole 7’ x10’ space made a huge difference. The up and over door blew out a lot of wall space which I can now use for storage, and I have also hung a fine dust air cleaner and central compressor hose and extractor pipes. Makes a big difference in a relatively small space

Back