Working with MDF advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, after many years of waiting I'm finally going to build a shed/workshop. It will hopefully be used for a little venture I'm starting up making items from MDF.

I'll be using a Triton 2000 work centre and also a chop saw and router, so I know I'm going to need some kind of extraction and possibly a mask as well.

I'm looking at getting the Triton dust collector but I'd like peoples advice as to what I should be using.

Thanks.

I try to take all my mdf machining out of the workshop to make life easier. Ideally on a day with a bit of wind to blow it away from the job. I also use a personal mechanical air filter and visor whilst I`m doing this. I used to make kitchen cabinet doors in my last shop where it was difficult to keep everything clean so we used to do it as the last job of the day and used blowers rather than suckers which would clog up quickly. Let the dust settle over night and then clean up before we started in the morning. Its not a good idea but that was all I could do at that time. As I`m sure you know it isn`t good for you so I would plan the extractor design carefully if this is the way you`re going. Good luck.
all the best
rob

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to cut outside due to the location and noise. It does pose a problem for me, the more I read up on MDF the less happy I am about using it. As it's going to be the main material I use I think I'll need to look at setting up a half decent extractor, a dust collector and also a mask :-(

Not a great way to be working really but I'm hoping to be busy at this venture so it's worth investing. I'll go with a mask for starters and if business picks up I'll invest in some more PPE for the workshop.

Any advice on what mask? I've been reading up a little and the full face masks seem to be favourite, just not sure which one.

I use an aircap 3 which I have found to work well but as I`ve said I do try to take my machining outside so it has often been assisted performance wise by nature. Trend and others make them but whether they are any better than my aircap I wouldn`t know.
all the best
rob

I have found the best way is to collect at source with the extractor or vacuum outside of the workshop in its own little shed/cover then you dont have to worry about the small stuff going through your collector. Wear decent protection. Masks are ok but if your wearing them for a long time become uncomfortable. A powered respirator works well, something with a P2 filter. And lastly have something to scrub the ambient air in your workshop like a microclene or you could make your own. Or you could clear the air inside with a extractor fan.
mark

Latest posts

Back