workbench legs, laminated plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all.

My workbench project will be pretty much made from scrap wood I have scavenged/salvaged from work, this limits the materials and quantitys somewhat :roll: I'm looking at making the workbench legs from bits of 'marine' ply laminated together, apart from the cutting of the mortices for the rails being a bit wierd (with the alternating plys) does anybody see a problem with this?

I made my workbench legs out of 4 layers of 18mm WBP plywood laminated together, and the apron and stretchers out of 2 layers. I didn't bother with fancy joinery, just glue and big screws.

It worked really well, plus it was cheap.

Hope this helps :)
Mark

Perfectly possible. Remember there is no need for legs to be square section - you can very well use a sheet (or two or more) of board on its edge - a bit like a big box - so long as you do something to stop racking. My own scrap-built bench has leg-shaped legs alongside boards on edge and is rock solid, though I had a handy low wall to fix to, and the whole thing is screwed to the wall and the floor.

Thank you folks, I think I'll go ahead with the ply legs - I've got some 28mm to glue up so I should be able to make something chunky :)

Andy
Your bench sounds a bit similar to how I have built my aquarium stands over the years, some vertical timber to take some load and provide stiffening to the sheet material sides/back.

Hmm, need to invest in some more glue I feel.

(hammer)

it wont be good practice in plywood though.

I would suggest some cascamite for glue- I found toolstation is as good as anywhere. I like it because it is cheap and you don't have to rush the glue up. They call it something different- resinmite or resintite.

You might like to take a look at mine http://meekings.selfip.com/nui/Groups-of-photos/Wood_work_etc/Pages/Workbench.html I saw no need to try to make mortices when laminating them gave a perfect fit & I would never have been able to cut them as big. BTW cling film is your friend when doing the glue up.

It has been in use for about 4 years and I would build it the same way again if I needed another one. The only thing I would do differently is I would use brad nails during the glue up.

Your ply bench turned out well, I couldnt have any feet sticking out on any bench I made - I'm a walking trip hazard as it is :shock:

Only the legs of my bench will be ply, rails are softwood and top is a salvaged firedoor that I will put a sheet of something on. I say something as I'm not sure on I'll use as a top surface, ply can splinter - mdf is smooth but not my first choice for anything/anything else is probably expensive and I'm skint :)

no skills,

can you salvage any more ply for your rails- it would be much easier to make the joints by missing out sections in the leg lamination that trying to get a softwood mortice to fit. depending on what it is, you could always put an inch of softwood on your door and plane it flat- that is what I am doing, albeit I managed to get some cheap American White Ash. Same difference though.

Mark

Ply is limited to leg quantities and sizes, I could do lap joints with the rails I spose but I dont fancy it much - I'll see how I feel when it nearer the time.

Covering the door with softwood is an option I like (thank you), I wonder how much it will move over time tho? A thick end grain top has me smiling but is un-realistic.

I'm going to start rough cutting and gluing the legs next week, we shall see :)

Back