Woodworking vice for using bench dogs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you seen Paul Sellers making dogs from brass strips? Its somewhere in his blog or a video.

Nice mounting of your vice!

Claus

clauskeller":35fa19rz said:
Have you seen Paul Sellers making dogs from brass strips? Its somewhere in his blog or a video.

Nice mounting of your vice!

Claus
Thanks.

I've seen one where he cuts a slot for a brass dog in the vice jaw, then goes on to make some round wooden dogs but I don't think I've seen one making brass dogs.

I've... errr... ordered the Veritas router plane :mrgreen: so I'm waiting for that before I make the jaws for mine.

clauskeller":29yxefhm said:
I though about this one: https://paulsellers.com/2015/01/closing ... -fitments/ which seems a good and practical idea.

The dogs themselves can easily be cut from any suitable brass flat stock.

Claus
Thanks. I wonder - do they need to be brass? I have some pretty similarly sized steel stock. I doubt that hitting brass would do your plane iron much good, so would steel be any worse?

DennisCA":34jo58f6 said:
Why not hardwood dogs?
No reason at all. IRC Sellers recommends going a little thicker for a hardwood dog - perhaps 9mm vs 6mm (3/8" vs 1/4").

Come to think of it, I do have some spare pieces that are around 8mm thick. Perhaps I'll just use that.

I've cut some decent plywood for the vice jaws so there will be progress on this in the coming days. I'm just waiting for a router plane to arrive :wink:

Dog slot done.

I fit the jaws as per Sellers' instructions, using 18mm ply:

20151220_122959.jpg

I then removed the front lining, knife wall, saw, paring with a chisel, then router plane:

20151220_132415.jpg

Jaw refitted:

20151220_134349.jpg

And with a dog:

20151220_134314.jpg

The hardwood I had is about 8mm thick, and I ended up with strips about 30mm wide (it just 'felt' right).

I have one that sits about 16mm proud (though obviously it can be raised for thicker stock) and another that sits about 6mm proud for really thin stuff.

I've got some 3/4" ash dowel, so you can probably guess what my next job will be, but that's going to be after a few days of over eating and drinking. Merry Xmas all!

Attachments

• 20151220_122959.jpg
    20151220_122959.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 811
  • 20151220_132415.jpg
    20151220_132415.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 811
  • 20151220_134349.jpg
    20151220_134349.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 811
  • 20151220_134314.jpg
    20151220_134314.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 811
That's a good old vice - it has the cover over the centre screw which later ones don't have.
Dogs are fashionable but you can manage (probably better) without them. I've got just one on my bench - about 1" square near the left hand end. You plane most stuff by just putting it up to it, loose on the bench top. Wider stuff I put a lath across the bench resting on the dog at the near end and nailed or cramped at the far end.
I've set the inner plate into the bench apron so it's flush but covered with a bit of ply glued on.

These arrays of dogs are like so many "good ideas" - solutions to problems which don't really exist

Jacob":391f86gl said:
That's a good old vice - it has the cover over the centre screw which later ones don't have.
Dogs are fashionable but you can manage (probably better) without them. I've got just one on my bench - about 1" square near the left hand end. You plane most stuff by just putting it up to it, loose on the bench top. Wider stuff I put a lath across the bench resting on the dog at the near end and nailed or cramped at the far end.
I've set the inner plate into the bench apron so it's flush but covered with a bit of ply glued on.

These arrays of dogs are like so many "good ideas" - solutions to problems which don't really exist
Yep - I did a bit of research before I bought it as I hadn't previously used one. I had it confirmed that this model (with the vertical ribs on the front casting, rather than the older 45 degree rib version) is also good. The cover over the screw was a bonus, and did indicate it might have been an early-ish production. Apart from a bit of paint loss I can't see anything wrong with it, and it's serving me well.

Space constraints mean my main workbench is also my router table, so I don't want to go crazy with an array of holes. Perhaps 4 or so for gripping medium and very wide boards, and maybe one as a plane stop, but no more than that.

sploo":x7u0z7ey said:
Jacob":x7u0z7ey said:

Yep - I did a bit of research before I bought it as I hadn't previously used one. I had it confirmed that this model (with the vertical ribs on the front casting, rather than the older 45 degree rib version) is also good. The cover over the screw was a bonus, and did indicate it might have been an early-ish production. Apart from a bit of paint loss I can't see anything wrong with it, and it's serving me well.

Space constraints mean my main workbench is also my router table, so I don't want to go crazy with an array of holes. Perhaps 4 or so for gripping medium and very wide boards, and maybe one as a plane stop, but no more than that.
Yes to one plane stop but you probably don't need to grip boards. Sounds counter intuitive but it works OK.

Back