Wood transfer advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karfeef

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm going to be making some basic puzzles for my kids using birch ply. The images I want to use are the usual letters, numbers, animals etc.

They already have a couple of similar toys that have the kind of thing I'm looking to achieve, but I'm not sure how to go about getting the images onto the wood.

The one in the picture has all the numbers in what resembles (to me anyway) slide on water transfers, similar to airfix model transfers, which is then lacquered over.

Am I right in thinking this and is it a normal way of getting these type of images onto wood, or is there another way which would take less time?

Cheers

H

Sent from my GT-I9300

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393652564928.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393652564928.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,068
Hi,
I was looking forward to seeing answers to this question. As there have been non I'll throw my ramblings in.

From a production point of view the longest job will be positioning the various elements, however they are made. To get around that the whole of the surface, clock face above, would need applying in one go. This could be achieved by printing from PC. Obviously you would lose the grain of the timber and the edges of the paper would catch and look scruffy very quickly.

I never used, and have no idea of the price, Vehicle Signs made in Vinyl. These often have transparent grounds and could do the job. Sorry I can't be more help. Let us know how you get on. Better yet do a WIP.
xy

For a production piece like that, it is very possible they use a screen print process. Not as easily done at home but it can be.

Thank you for the reply. I'm interested to know what medium used is to print on to, nothing I've seen for an inkjet is thin enough, as with the example in the picture, there is basically no raised surface.

Sent from my GT-I9300

karfeef":ivgkt69p said:
Thank you for the reply. I'm interested to know what medium used is to print on to, nothing I've seen for an inkjet is thin enough, as with the example in the picture, there is basically no raised surface.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Hi
I haven't used it but you can buy waterslide paper off ebay or the web. I'm looking at the process for a different project.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1038801443

Bob

That looks good for photo stuff, much better than spending hours rubbing off paper :)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Back