wood lathe problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbycrich

Reaction score
back in april I had problem with the motor on my sealey wood lathe after a few ums & ahs from sealey they finally sent me a new motor which seemed to work ok I stopped using my lathe in june as my wife wasn't well & there was lots to do with the house & the garden I finally had the chance to get back in the workshop on Monday, come Wednesday the motor stopped I have had this problem before with the other motor so I did all the things to it like last time like buying a new capacitor still not working yet the motor turns without the belt but after running for about a minute the motor gets really hot. I rang the company up were I brought said lathe who in turn spoke to sealey company rang me back & said sealey reckon it either tail stock seized/ wrong electrics/ or must be running it on an extension lead, its none of these, they told me I was the only one who has bought a sealey wood lathe that has had problems with the motors I find that hard to believe. Has anyone or know of anybody who has had any problems with sealey motors all answers would be grateful before I purchas a new motor.

More likely to be the head stock seized than the tail stock. Does the spindle rotate freely when the belt tension is removed?

Phil

Check the spindle rotates freely as Phil suggested and if it does, it sounds like you have a faulty motor. Assuming it has the correct capacitor fitted, it could be shorted windings causing it to draw too much current and lose power.

Sorry for not getting back sooner but not had a lot of time as our dog has been very poorly in the end we had to have him put to sleep as he couldn't walk bless him he was 15 we have had him since he was a pup & to be honest didn't feel like doing anything, anyway I digress head stock/ tail sock all run freely bought new capacitor didn't use as Sealey sent me a new motor. anyway used lathe for a couple of days then went away for a week then today I thought I might do some wood turning just a nice easy project but after half an hour the motor packs up I thought not again so changed the capacitor just in case, but nothing motor still not turning so took belt off nothing happening undid bolts holding motor on lathe plugged it back in turned it on all I got was a loud humming noise & smoke coming out of motor where the wires are attached to the coil so switch of pulled out plug motor was red hot, so had electrician round this afternoon just to check my electrics which were fine as I thought they would be so its got me stumped as to why these motors keep going wrong I am beginning to think I am jinxed when it comes to wood turning now do I call it a day with this wood lathe & buy a better one because I cant see Sealey sending me another motor as the lathe is 18 months old so out of warranty. what do members of the forum suggest all replies gratefully recieved

You're n,ever going to have confidence in this lathe now. Cut your losses, look around for a pre-used Record or Axi lathe and enjoy your turning.

Phil

Treat yourself to a decent lathe. You need one to get over this misery. Feel for you about your dog. I've been there.

Bob

Thanks guys for advice & thank you Bob for the condolence been a hard couple of weeks as we feel lost without him. I will start looking for another lathe now but first I am going to have a go a sealey to see if I can get all or at least some of my money back as lathe should have lasted more than 18 months, will let you know what happens. once again thanks guys.

Thanks guys, Phil I went down that route they didn't want to know they said as it was 18 months old it comes down to wear & tear. Wildman I have a bandsaw with same size motor & quite a big table saw with similar motor & don't have any problems with them in fact the table saw gets used quite a lot.

As a hobby turner how much did you actually use the lathe,it should have lasted a lot longer than 18 months and the new motor only lasted six months so there must be some come back there,I would argue as not being fit for purpose under your consumer rights which most companies seem to ignore

Latest posts

Back