Wood identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS Bespoke Furniture

Established Member
Reaction score
Need an opinion on this wood please, I normally only work with lighter wood so still need experience with this.

I asked for sapele but this doesn't look quite how I expected it too. I have normally seen sapele with big waves in the grain. I do love this wood though and just want to know what it is.

Thanks
Chris
IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

I only know of utile as a commercially available wood similar to sapele around these days

years back I would've said brazilian mahogany -lovely mild grained timber, used to be quite cheap and often used for windowboards etc.

It looks like sapele to me, judging from the right side of the board, as I see some ribbon striping.
What does it smell like ..
The sapele smelled like carrots to me when I used some.
Gonna look up utile examples for a comparison.
Tom

Chrispy":cp4i9jz2 said:
Yep that's Sapele, crown cut you get the stripe when quarter cut.

Must have only seen quarter cut before. Crown cut is much nicer I think! Hope I can get more of it locally.

Thank you everyone

andersonec":1dnkxcd9 said:
CS Bespoke Furniture":1dnkxcd9 said:
Crown cut is much nicer I think! Hope I can get more of it locally.

Thank you everyone

Not a long way from you

http://www.brookstimber.com/contactus.php (Sewstern)

Or Woodlines in Grantham always has a lot but you have to sort through to find the Crown cut pieces.

Andy

Don't suppose you can get any American walnut can you? Getting restricted on sizes at the moment. People only seem to do 2.4m and i need at least 2.7

Don't suppose you can get any American walnut can you? Getting restricted on sizes at the moment. People only seem to do 2.4m and i need at least 2.7[/quote]

Sorry, only just seen this as we have been away, how much do you need? I know Woodlines has a limited amount 1bout 100mm x 25mm x ? (but more than 2.7m) Give them a call.

We used to have Associated timbers who did all this type of stuff bur they went to the wall now Brookes Bros are going to stick to English timbers only but they may be able to get it for you. There is a chap you could try but he's near Newark, Steven Wright, Elston sawmill, 01636 525015 mob 07866 203618

Andy

If its smaller sizes then 1000 x 200 x 25 would be perfect. If bigger sizes then anywhere between 2.7-3m x 200 x 25.

thanks for the numbers though, ill give them a try tomorrow

Looks to be sapele to me. Got a ton of it taking up room in the shed. Thinking of whacking a few boards on eBay myself.

Back