Wood id

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1693

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got a few off cuts of this very dense and heavy any idea what it is
20221011_144223.jpg
20221011_144210.jpg

From the pictures, probably Sapele or Iroko.......

Sometimes these tropical hardwoods - Iroko especially - have hard calcium crystal deposits in the grain which can blunt tools.

They were/are used as building timber.... windows, doors etc.

Could be Keruing. Can be quite 'sticky' and 'oozy' at times, Had some block board made from the stuff, which was very heavy.

Iroko has the flecks in the grain very similar. it planes and scrapes well its made a nice morticing mallet prefer it to my thor

Iroko has the flecks in the grain very similar. it planes and scrapes well its made a nice morticing mallet prefer it to my thor
The term "flecks" to me, is very descriptive, and what I've seen referred to as such is often present in beech and sipo/utile, but not apparent with iroko, which it looks like to me also.
I think these pictures describe what a fleck is, but maybe @Sgian Dubh can clear that up, should he have differing opinions on the matter! :dunno:

Blackburn Tools - Quartersawn American beech plane billets
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...hUKEwjs2tLC9dj6AhVUVsAKHfaaALEQMygFegUIARCCAQ
Entandrophragma utile 350 × 262

I vote for Black Locust [Robinia Pseudoacacia].

Little used, because it is too hard to work [have to pre-drill holes for nails, or they bounce off]. Also poisonous, with dust that can cause breathing problems.

I'd say Iroko.

Along with Laburnum and Yew, one of the most toxic timbers in terms of dust inhalation:

http://baysidewoodturners.com/media...ns_ITD Guidelines Draft - August 24, 2012.pdf

I'm not 'shroud waving' - I've turned all of those timbers, but with a proper dust mask on, not one of those sill white disposable ones, whose only purpose in life is to fool loved ones that we're taking sensible precautions.

The attached pic is of an Iroko bowl I turned, which shows the similarity to the picture in the first post.

Attachments

• Iroko bowl five inches diam.jpg
    Iroko bowl five inches diam.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 0
The first appearance in the pictures suggested to many of us one of the Mahoganny 'look-alikes'. ..........I thought Sapele or, more likely, Iroko.

However, going back to the OP's original post, he mentions that it is 'very dense and heavy'.

One timber that is dense and heavy and also looks similar to the pictures is Greenheart.
It's a sub-tropical species that is now often used commercially in as an alternative to Teak, particularly on boats and the like where new genuine Teak is now almost unobtainable.

I believe that some of the very old coastal groins on West-Wales beaches, originally Teak, have been repaired with Greenheart in recent years.

One more candidate for the debate......

Greenheart was useed a lot for dock pilings & very rarely for any decorative use as its quite a bland timber, i was given a few lengths of it last year & you wouldnt use it on a boat to look pretty.
My money is on Iroko.

Black locust or iroko both look good shouts I'm leaning towards black locust

top picture black locust bottom iroko
Screenshot_20221013-094453_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20221013-094814_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Back