Window 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sporky McGuffin":3usyts79 said:
RogerS":3usyts79 said:
Virgin Galactic is the latest ill-thought through system that never considered the 'What if'.

I find it very hard to believe that Virgin Galactic hasn't considered pretty much every possibility - given the hundreds, if not thousands of professional engineers involved in that sort of project......

Clearly not very good ones because they failed to ask the question 'What would happen if the pilot deploys the feathering system before the spacecraft has got up to the required speed?' and designed a system to prevent it. That's what I mean by asking 'What if?'.

So the pilot did deploy the feathering system before it got up to speed and Virgin Galactic crashed killing one of the flight crew and injuring the other.

DiscoStu":1p8ipm0u said:
...... Not sure if you want some AI learning all about your preferences and habits though! Especially if your misses uses your PC and Cortana assumes it's you and asks if you'd like her to open all of your commonly used websites!

But surly the easy answer to that on any computer is to have multiple accounts and differing log on PINS.

Keeps both personal preferences, personal communications and sensitive account details separate at the common access level at least.

Doing otherwise may not be as bad as leaving your keys in the car ignition, but can lead to a very cluttered desktop at the very least and potentially erratic file records.

RogerS":1i817syo said:
Clearly not very good ones because they failed to ask the question 'What would happen if the pilot deploys the feathering system before the spacecraft has got up to the required speed?' and designed a system to prevent it. That's what I mean by asking 'What if?'.

So the pilot did deploy the feathering system before it got up to speed and Virgin Galactic crashed killing one of the flight crew and injuring the other.

Hindsight always offers a clearer view. How many "what ifs" did they consider and mitigate against? How many disasters were solved before they ever happened?

There comes a point where you can't protect absolutely against human error. If they'd locked out the pilot's ability to do whatever it was he did, might that have prevented him solving a different problem?

There's talk of Microsoft going over to a subscription model, if you want to continue accessing the internet via Windows. I am looking for a nice Mac!

I'm a long term Windows user (since v3.1) and have used and supported every version in a professional capacity since then.

Some of the versions have been good (Windows 95, XP, 7), others have been dreadful (ME, Vista, 8 ). IMHO, Windows 7 is the best version ever in terms of usability and reliability. The "improvements" made to Windows 8 may benefit touch screen devices, but actually make using a keyboard/mouse system more awkward unless some fiddling is undertaken.

As for Windows 10, I've been using it for a while now and it is even worse than Windows 8! It has issues with accessing files on network shares and we've had problems with some older applications (from Microsoft!) which won't install properly. As far as usability goes, it's slightly better than 8, but equally frustrating to use in a different way!

My advise would be to hang onto Windows 7 for as long as you possibly can.

Benchwayze":30m4nxp4 said:
There's talk of Microsoft going over to a subscription model, if you want to continue accessing the internet via Windows. I am looking for a nice Mac!

I feel sure you are right. It's a better way of getting an income stream ie every month, rather than a one off purchase, every few years.
And at the end of the day they are there to make money - your role in life is to provide the money:)

Brian

Sporky McGuffin":1sqd1jhy said:
RogerS":1sqd1jhy said:

Hindsight always offers a clearer view. How many "what ifs" did they consider and mitigate against? How many disasters were solved before they ever happened?

There comes a point where you can't protect absolutely against human error. If they'd locked out the pilot's ability to do whatever it was he did, might that have prevented him solving a different problem?

Sorry, we'll have to disagree on this one. Something as fundamental as the feathering system was ignored.

Cortana, I asked how I could get my favourites list onto Windows 10, answer, (subject not found), so another useless feature. =D>

It will of course track your every movement on the internet, no doubt to the benefit of Microsoft. :evil:

So Cortana has been switched off, on my computer, I think, as I am really not sure with this rubbish Windows 10, what is on or off. :?

The most consistent message from Windows 10, is (Hmm we can’t reach this page) :evil:

How can I get Windows 98, that version, I sort of understood to some extent.

Chris R.

Benchwayze":2ba5n1ji said:

I been using Linux for years and I cringe when I read these MS horror stories.

Just load Ubuntu and forget all the pain.... :)

ChrisR":3k6kie1f said:
/

Chris R.
PM me if you are serious about win98, I have a disk you can have and we can come to some arrangement over the licence key. NB windows2000 was far better than 98, got that too if you want it

[
mseries":2wevsnf8 said:
ChrisR":2wevsnf8 said:
/

Chris R.
PM me if you are serious about win98, I have a disk you can have and we can come to some arrangement over the licence key. NB windows2000 was far better than 98, got that too if you want it

Many thanks for the offer, but I don’t have any computer knowledge to go changing or adjusting things, that’s why it’s so frustrating when Microsoft just dumps a new operating system on my computer.

I do have the 98 system on disks, as I did have a laptop running that, but on the turn of the century the laptop crashed, and would never boot again, so it was a bin job for it, shame because it was a nice computer.

This HP laptop I am running is only just over twelve months old, but I am now considering changing to a (Mac) machine, just two things I have to do, convince myself that I could get my head around a completely new system, (I am not of the computer generation), the other thing is much more difficult, convince the long haired boss that I need to buy another computer, she just doesn’t see the point in computers and is not one bit interested in them. Maybe she has the answer, forget computers and leave all the unnecessary stress they cause, behind. :roll:

Chris R.

You'll find a Mac vastly different to any Windows OS.

... and what's all this about the computer generation? It's those of us now with free bus pass who first had a Home PC - not today's young whipper-snappers - they weren't even a twinkle in their father's eye :)

@ChrisR, I understand what you are saying about not being of the computer generation, but you may not need a new computer, you may be able to use Linux on the one you already have. Just need to get someone to help you decide and try it for you

ChrisR":1i2zln15 said:
Cortana, I asked how I could get my favourites list onto Windows 10, answer, (subject not found), so another useless feature. =D>

Chris R.

Chris

To import favourites

Open Edge
Top right hand corner there is an icon, a series of horizontal lines, click it.
On the righthand side in blue you will see ' import favourites' click it

I had the same problem.

What's needed is a migration package, I couldn't find the snipping tool or my camera videos - found them both now.

HTH

Brian

Sporky McGuffin":2lh1szih said:
DrPhill":2lh1szih said:
Cortana? Think 'digital creepy doll.' who reports directly back to her bosses on everything that you ask her......

I think that's getting a bit tin-foil-hat. The processing is done in the cloud, but I doubt Microsoft have the storage or desire to record every individual request; instead they'll be interested in broad trends which are actually more useful when anonymous. Think along the lines of predicting the behaviour of a crowd (fairly easy) as opposed to an individual in that crowd (very hard).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...crosofts-intrusive-terms-of-use-10432300.html
Turn off Cortana

Again, this could be a problem, as the Cortana search function, which is similar to Apple's Siri, has been highly praised as one of the best functions of Windows 10.

However, one of the reasons it works so well is because it logs your past searches and can provide suggestions and more personalised search results.

Users will have to decide whether they're willing to disable Cortana in exchange for increasing privacy.

RogerP":1uhthjzy said:
Benchwayze":1uhthjzy said:

I been using Linux for years and I cringe when I read these MS horror stories.

Just load Ubuntu and forget all the pain.... :)

Not an Ubuntu fan (or rather Gnome3/Unity) but I do agree that Linux is a very worthwhile alternative. I've used it for years and whilst I accept it probably won't make it into the mainstream corporate environment (as a desktop OS), for a home user it's almost a no brainer particularly if you want a no cost option.

It's possible that you'll find there are applications you can't get or take some aggravation to get running but all the usual stuff is there ready to go. If you have any technical desire most of the problem stuff is possible to get going anyway.

I tried running Linux, but what I ended up with was ubuntu. The interface looked a little primitive; rather like those childrens' ready laptops you buy for the grandchildren at Christmas.

Benchwayze":2uwm9luk said:
I tried running Linux, but what I ended up with was ubuntu. The interface looked a little primitive; rather like those childrens' ready laptops you buy for the grandchildren at Christmas.

That's the beauty of Linux, you're free to do what you like so it doesn't have to look primitive if that's what appeals to you. Either install a different distribution that looks (more like) the way you want or if you're that way inclined tinker away to your heart's content....

Latest posts

Back