which woodturning chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekid

Established Member
Reaction score
im stuck, had the lathe for almost a week, love turning bits n bobs but want to turn something bigger,ive got a 4" faceplate ,and now want a chuck, are there any readers familiar with the dakota range of chucks?? ive loooked at them and theyre on my short list

Not being an expert, I went to a Turners Club locally.

Most reckoned that I should buy once and once only and reckoned the Supernova should be what I should get for my needs!

Of course there are many other chuck and many opinions - I suggest you go to your local Turners Club and chat to them about it, especially as to what you want to achieve with your lathe. They are usually friendly folks and provide good advice like this forum does. On top of it you can perhaps get hands on advice to boot.

Just my 2p worth.

joekid":3w66x2jt said:
im stuck, had the lathe for almost a week, love turning bits n bobs but want to turn something bigger,ive got a 4" faceplate ,and now want a chuck, are there any readers familiar with the dakota range of chucks?? ive loooked at them and theyre on my short list

I asked similar questions a few months ago, several suggested I look at the versa chuck, thats what I ended up buying. It comes with three lots of jaws and as the name says it is very versatile in that most makes of jaws fit it.
HERE is a link to it. :)

BrianD":3hw91m9k said:
Not being an expert, I went to a Turners Club locally.

Most reckoned that I should buy once and once only and reckoned the Supernova should be what I should get for my needs!

Of course there are many other chuck and many opinions - I suggest you go to your local Turners Club and chat to them about it, especially as to what you want to achieve with your lathe. They are usually friendly folks and provide good advice like this forum does. On top of it you can perhaps get hands on advice to boot.

Just my 2p worth.
thanks brian, have been looking at them too,

Back