Charnwood W815, Axminster AW205WL or AC355WL?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM83

Reaction score
Hey folks looking for some advice on choosing my 1st Lathe. I have been looking at the Axminster AW205WL and Charnwood W815 as well as looking for 2nd hand lathes. There is an Axminster Craft 355Wl available locally for £350, its out of warranty however the seller seems genuine and helpful and happy to show me it working etc so thats made the list.

Ive never done any wood turning before but im looking to get into woodworking (ive always enjoyed working with wood and its been a part time hobby for 5 years or so) and starting to build a small workshop. Id like to pens, pipes and other small projects like that, spindles and bowls too but Im not too worried about going big from the get go and I dont mind upgrading in the future for something. My workshop space is fairly limited but not too bad, a bench mounted lathe is probably going to work best though. I want to have electric variable speed which all 3 mentioned have.

The Axminster 205 is about £200 with 3 year warranty EDIT: Actually £180 with discount code SAVETEN

Charnwood W815 is about £180 with 5 year warranty or £240 with the W810 chuck

The used Axminster AC355WL is £350 with no warranty

I know there are lots of different machines and at this price range they are are likely to be clones etc so im open to any other suggestions.

I should have a budget so id say £350 but that would need to include tools and possibly a chuck. To begin with I plan on using some birch logs I have already, I have all the tools to mill the logs into blanks. I have some that were cut down about 9 months ago and some that were cut about 2 years ago, not sure if that will make a difference or if its even suitable, but im hoping it will be fine for practising so I dont need to worry about buying wood yet.

I think thats everything, appreciate any help and advice

Meant to add, ive had a look for local clubs but nothing really close enough for me, I dont drive which doesnt help!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. If you want true electronic variable speed, you will be limited to fairly new models so second hand isn't much of an option, so at that price range the ones you have look pretty good. The first 2 will only allow 8" diameter items. If you really only want to make spindle items, that isn't a problem, but quite quickly it will feel very small for bowls (especially as you always loose a bit of diameter getting the blank round etc if you are using wood you have cut yourself.).

My personal choice would be to sacrifice the electronic variable speed and go for a 10 speed variomatic machine. You still get lots of speeds, and no faffing around changing belts. This would mean your budget would stretch to a much larger second hand machine (swivel head allowing 18" bowls, 30" or more spindles over the bed). I have recently upgraded to an electronically variable machine however and they are a lot nicer to use, so if you don't mind upgrading in a bit for something larger, then ignore that!

Hello and welcome. If you want true electronic variable speed, you will be limited to fairly new models so second hand isn't much of an option, so at that price range the ones you have look pretty good. The first 2 will only allow 8" diameter items. If you really only want to make spindle items, that isn't a problem, but quite quickly it will feel very small for bowls (especially as you always loose a bit of diameter getting the blank round etc if you are using wood you have cut yourself.).

My personal choice would be to sacrifice the electronic variable speed and go for a 10 speed variomatic machine. You still get lots of speeds, and no faffing around changing belts. This would mean your budget would stretch to a much larger second hand machine (swivel head allowing 18" bowls, 30" or more spindles over the bed). I have recently upgraded to an electronically variable machine however and they are a lot nicer to use, so if you don't mind upgrading in a bit for something larger, then ignore that!
Hi Alex

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I will certainly have a look at non electronic lathes, there is a ML8 near by but its about £400.

I should have added as well, that my thinking in upgrading is that if I go smaller now when I upgrade I don’t necessarily need to sell the smaller machine and I could always take it up to my caravan so I can do small projects when Im up there.

Do you think a chuck is a necessary purchase for a small machine, I wouldnt mind doing some bowls even if they are smaller and just for practice?

I also need to factor in a tool set. I had a quick look yesterday will cost me somewhere between £50-£100 for a basic set to get me going. Are there any tool sets that are well thought off for starting out within that price range?

I guess between the 3 ive listed the aw205wl and w815 are very similar in spec and cost, while the 355 is the better machine but without warranty and pushing me over budget So more of a gamble. Not sure wether to hold out for Black Friday too as that could throw a curveball. Looks like last year Axminster offered 15% off and theres already a 10% vouchers so chances are it wont be a great deal cheaper.

Sorry about that reply, I just started rambling in my head and tried to write it down 😂

I don't know much about Charnwood, although I do have one of their belt/disc sanders which is fine. Axminster have a good reputation for service, I had a new small Bandsaw which had an alignment problem with the guide holder, emailed with a photo and they sent me the parts by post next day so they get a gold star for that. You could throw Record Power in the mix, they do a similar range to Axminster, their DML 250 does up to 10 inch bowls and I think is similar price to the small Axminster - been a while since I looked. You rightly say you need tools and perhaps a chuck, don't overlook sharpening. A grinder with white or Ruby wheels perhaps. You need to sharpen frequently. If you ask 2 Woodturners the best way to sharpen, you get 4 answers, don't be drawn into spending lots on special kit, but you will need something. It might be worth asking the seller of the second hand one what's included. If they are upgrading likely they will keep the other stuff, if they are giving up they might do a deal with chuck and a few other things.

I don't know much about Charnwood, although I do have one of their belt/disc sanders which is fine. Axminster have a good reputation for service, I had a new small Bandsaw which had an alignment problem with the guide holder, emailed with a photo and they sent me the parts by post next day so they get a gold star for that. You could throw Record Power in the mix, they do a similar range to Axminster, their DML 250 does up to 10 inch bowls and I think is similar price to the small Axminster - been a while since I looked. You rightly say you need tools and perhaps a chuck, don't overlook sharpening. A grinder with white or Ruby wheels perhaps. You need to sharpen frequently. If you ask 2 Woodturners the best way to sharpen, you get 4 answers, don't be drawn into spending lots on special kit, but you will need something. It might be worth asking the seller of the second hand one what's included. If they are upgrading likely they will keep the other stuff, if they are giving up they might do a deal with chuck and a few other things.
Thanks for the reply Richard. I did have a look at RP but I thought their cheapest one was around £400, theres every chance I missed one as it does become a bit of a mine field once you start looking. Will have another look though.

I spoke with Axminster earlier, very helpful and ive been watching their videos a lot the last few days (or weeks if you include looking for a bandsaw) I think im set on going with the 205 at the moment, I can get the 205 + SK80 chuck and a set of 6 tools for about a fiver more than the second hand 355 by itself. I did ask if he was including anything else but I guess he’s upgrading as he wasn't including anything else.

I have a dremel and angle grinder, not sure if i could make a jig for sharpening the tools with them, but your right I should probably include get something good for sharpening the tools (will sneak that into the next budget request with the boss 😂)

If you have a use for the little lathe once you wish to upgrade then that might make a difference. You could get started with a new small lathe and think about taking a bit more of a risk with something bigger and second hand when you have more practice. Maybe I am just childish, but I find the temptation to make big things difficult to resist and it would be a shame to spend a lot of money and feel you have outgrown it in a year or so.

I do very little spindle turning - almost all bowls and I find having a chuck essential, and would want one even with only a max 8" diameter machine. Holding items at just one end can be very useful. They are expensive though!

I am conscious of the dangers of recommending different machines on these forums when people ask advice about possible purchases. Before you know it there are suggestions for things costing many times as much and that are far too large! Myfords have very keen followers, and will last a lifetime, but are limited in diameter and getting old. I had a quick look on fb marketplace but don't know where in Scotland you are based. If you don't mind travelling there are a few in the north of England that look pretty good. With your budget I would want the record Cl-3 including chuck and tools for £270 (Log in or sign up to view), but that is hand changing the belt to switch speed albeit for a far more capable machine. Also some axminster m900 clones for £110 - 200. If you are getting up to £400 there is a variable speed Sorby which is in a different league entirely (but not what you asked for and a long drive away!).

As Richard says sharpening is essential. Don't get lured down the carbide route, especially if you want to do mostly spindle work. I sharpen freehand on a water wheel, but there are loads of clever jigs costing nothing to hundreds of pounds. You don't need to spend loads, but you will need a grinding wheel of some sort!

If you have a use for the little lathe once you wish to upgrade then that might make a difference. You could get started with a new small lathe and think about taking a bit more of a risk with something bigger and second hand when you have more practice. Maybe I am just childish, but I find the temptation to make big things difficult to resist and it would be a shame to spend a lot of money and feel you have outgrown it in a year or so.

I do very little spindle turning - almost all bowls and I find having a chuck essential, and would want one even with only a max 8" diameter machine. Holding items at just one end can be very useful. They are expensive though!

I am conscious of the dangers of recommending different machines on these forums when people ask advice about possible purchases. Before you know it there are suggestions for things costing many times as much and that are far too large! Myfords have very keen followers, and will last a lifetime, but are limited in diameter and getting old. I had a quick look on fb marketplace but don't know where in Scotland you are based. If you don't mind travelling there are a few in the north of England that look pretty good. With your budget I would want the record Cl-3 including chuck and tools for £270 (Log in or sign up to view), but that is hand changing the belt to switch speed albeit for a far more capable machine. Also some axminster m900 clones for £110 - 200. If you are getting up to £400 there is a variable speed Sorby which is in a different league entirely (but not what you asked for and a long drive away!).

As Richard says sharpening is essential. Don't get lured down the carbide route, especially if you want to do mostly spindle work. I sharpen freehand on a water wheel, but there are loads of clever jigs costing nothing to hundreds of pounds. You don't need to spend loads, but you will need a grinding wheel of some sort!
Thanks for the reply Alex, that Record Power would have been great if it was little closer but its probably 7hour+ round trip (Im up in Fife). Still seems like a great deal though. I know what you mean regards suggestions and price creeping up, I certainly dont need anybody’s help to do that just ask my missus !! I quite fancy making pen sized things as well as bowls so im sure in the future if I were to upgrade I could put a small lathe to good use. I dont have a facebook account so not checked that marketplace, might have to have a look.

At the moment im going for (in my head) the AW205WL, with the SK80 and the Axminster 6 piece tool set, thats coming in at around £355 so Il call that my budget for Lathe, Tools and chuck. If that record power had been a bit closer that might just have taken top spot. I guess the price difference would cover the fuel so if I forget about the time then the 2 options are probably going to cost the same.

What would you recommend for sharpening, and the Axminster set a good choice?

EDIT:

Just had a look on that facebook market thing and there is quite a few listed I hadn’t seen on other sites, cheers for the link

Last edited:
Bit the bullet last night and ordered my first lathe. Ended up going for the 205 with sk80 chuck and the miniature tool set. The thinking is even if I went with something like the 305 or 355 I would still want to upgrade in the future and those would need to be sold on where the 205 is small enough to keep as dedicated lathe for small projects and also portable to take away with me.

Thanks for all your input and advice.

Enjoy. Exciting times.

I am still on my first lathe, having started 3 years ago but by no means continuous use, many months away from it for various reasons. To begin with it was mostly small bowls, lathe capacity is 12 inch and I don't think I have ever gone above 9. Learning the route from distinctly chunky to elegant thin walls, learing how to get a good finish off the tool and do a lot less sanding. Its a long journey. Just when I was thinking about a possible upgrade to get more capacity and 'heft' from a heavier machine I started turning boxes and vases which don't need much capacity. I find small boxes both challenging and very satisfying. I might never upgrade :)

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_124547.jpg
    IMG_20221109_124547.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Bit the bullet last night and ordered my first lathe. Ended up going for the 205 with sk80 chuck and the miniature tool set. The thinking is even if I went with something like the 305 or 355 I would still want to upgrade in the future and those would need to be sold on where the 205 is small enough to keep as dedicated lathe for small projects and also portable to take away with me.

Thanks for all your input and advice.
Good work! Most important thing is to have fun! You will be amazed how many round cross section things you need in your life...

Thanks both for the messages, unfortunately my excitement soon turned to frustration dealing with Axminster (ironically their customer service was a big part in choosing to go with them)

I am looking forward to getting into turning though, actually really exited but im holding off setting up the 205 as it may be going back.

Richard, those projects look great, thats the kind of thing id like to be doing myself. Really like the clock hadn’t even thought of doing clocks!

Alex for sure its all about enjoying it, my missus has already got list of projects for me building up so i wont be stuck lol

Well the Axminster aw205wl went back but I found a used Record Power DML320 on gumtree and picked it up the other day. Had a shot on it yesterday using a couple of tools that came with it and today I had some carbide tools delivered so had another shot, absolutely love it. Can see how people get the bug with turning, very therapeutic and with a bit of practice the things that can be made from a lump of firewood is very exciting.

Back