Which scroll saw to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRM

Reaction score
I am considering starting scroll saw woodwork as my retirement hobby.

Having read quite a lot on the internet I consider that my needs are reliability, quick and easy blade change, arm tilt, a foot pedal and variable speed. I understand that I will need the scroll saw to be securely mounted to reduce vibration. It appears that I also need some form of dust extraction system.

It is also apparent that buying low spec machines leads to frustration and eventual purchase of higher spec machine.

I have considered a Hegner Multicut 1 Variable Speed. This requires changing to a quick clamp for pierce work. I looked at an Excaliber EX-21 and from the USA videos the green Excaliber provides what I want. Both these machines require a bench, footswitch and dust extraction system.

I recently discovered the Swordfish SW Series of scroll saws which are aimed at schools and colleges. The image of the machine is impressive since the scroll saw sits on top of a dust extraction system and includes knee-operated stop switch. The spec seems to provide what I want. Whilst a brand new machine is more than I am willing to pay – a second unit is within my budget.

Which of these three will be the best buy for a newbie?

I own a Hegner and would recommend them, only downside is the price which IMHO is too high for what it is!
Axminster do a Hegner clone which looks to be a direct Hegner copy but it's much more affordable, I haven't tried one but a few here have so they could advise on them.

Regarding your comment re the hegner quick clamp, you don't just have to use it for pierced cuts you can use it all the time, I never use anything else for the top clamp.

Whatever you buy I would suggest the following are important and I would not buy a saw without them.

1) Simple and quick blade change. If you do lots of internal cuts a slow blade change will put you off and drive you mad!
2) Quick Tension release lever. Even if you can change the blade quickly if it's awkward to adjust the tension after changing that will drive you nuts too!
3) Variable speed. Especially for beginners this will enable you to take it slowly when cutting thin materials or intricate patterns.

Other things I would prefer
4) Induction motor rather than universal (carbon brush motor) They cost more but are much quieter, vibrate less are longer lasting and more reliable.
5) Low vibration. A noisy saw that vibrates is unpleasant to use, bolting down to a sturdy bench helps but a low noise, low vibration saw is a joy to use.
6) Slotted table. Not essential but does make it easier when doing pierced cuts on larger work.

Welcome to the forum.

Plus one, with Scrimpers advice.

Take care.

Chris R.

Welcome to the forum, everything Scrimper said plus stay away from MDF untill you have a top notch dust extractor
Regards
Brendan

Welcome to the forum, everything Scrimper said plus stay away from MDF untill you have a top notch dust extractor
Regards
Brendan

I've never seen the Swordfish before, and there was one for sale on this very forum 2 years ago, for £300. Looks like a lot of saw, but I don't like the look of the clamps.

Wow! Thanks for the replies. I must admit I am still struggling to decide. I don't end with a second purchase. I will ponder what has been said.
Watch this space since I will be back

Welcome to the forum...... you have come to the right place as these guys have years of experience (unlike myself who's a newbie to the game) must say the Hegners do seem popular choice, I have the Axminster clone and love it.
Cheers
Brian

scrimper":3ntn1tdo said:
I have never heard of Swordfish either but they look like very robust machines, I wonder how much they cost, looks like they are British made?
http://www.rjhfinishing.co.uk/design-te ... croll-saw/

Looks like they are made not too far from me. In fact very close to where I bought my BB ply last year. Seems they made the saw some years back and discontinued it, and last year began producing an updated version.

It is nice that I can quickly give something back to the forum
Swordfish - SW series made by RJH Finishing in Heckmondwick: you can email sales at rjhfinishing co uk.
These scrolls are "ideal for schools and colleges"
Dust extraction mounted £2880 or £2962 dependant on the motor.
Bench mounted £1635
Pedestal mounted £1810.
To a newbie like me the spec seems to provide what I want plus a knee-operoperated stop switch.
I think there is a 4 week lead time for new machines.
Ouch - way beyond what I'm willing to pay. However this week I saw two for sale £400 but that is sold and one at £300 and was still available tonight. I've sent an email on the £300,
The photographs I've seen show a large robust looking machine because it has dust extraction fitted.

A very warm welcome to the Forum,you seem to have read quite a few posts,you have chosen the best hobby to start.I also have a Hegner,the Multicut 1 single speed,the baby of the family.Just ask the questions and I am sure you will receive the answers here. :roll:

Bryan

Welcome to the Forum-- I hope you find Scrolling an excellent hobby for retirement.

However a word of caution--- I now only do 12 Craft shows a year but at almost every show someone will come up to me saying they bought a scroll saw ( usually a Hegner ) but can't get on with it and it is sitting in the garage unused .

A couple of these have spent an afternoon in my shed getting the basics and hopefully have started using their saw.

What I am saying is £800 or so spent on saw a can turn into a disappointment--- May be worth trying a £50 spend on EBay just to make sure the Hobby is for you

Hope I'm not being negative

John

FYI I still have my hegner multicut 1 variable speed fitted with flexi hose and quick clamp for sale.....

I've given up on the Swordfish.
I like the idea of the Excaliber's moving arm but I am concerned about the reliability of the Excaliber. I like the reliability of the Hegner but I am concerned about having to move the table for every blade change.
When piercing with the Hegner do I need to lift the table or is it simply undoing the top clamp?
I have accepted the offer to go an see Martinka's Hegner but today's snow has caused a delay.

DRM":3ge93lwc said:
I like the reliability of the Hegner but I am concerned about having to move the table for every blade change.
When piercing with the Hegner do I need to lift the table or is it simply undoing the top clamp?

You don't need to move the table at all, unless you want to do any angled cuts.

Latest posts

Back