Which new chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MJ, I have ground them on my Tormek and then sharpened on Scary Sharp, the backs are so flat it only took 30 to 60 seconds (no more than a minute or two tops) on 3 micron to get them to a polish and very flat. From memory they suggest different angles for the different chisels within the range, life's to short for that so all of mine are ground at 25 honed at 30.

I don't want to start WW3 but you may find that unless your water stones are very flat you will undo the fantastic lapping Veritas have already done.

These are beautifully made and a pleasure to use, I wrote a review for Nick Gibbs on the O1 when they first came out, these PMV 11 have a better ferrule interaction than the original O1 I tested. This detail was one of my only picky gripes of the O1.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... ch2013.pdf

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":1aceuj2u said:
MJ, I have ground them on my Tormek and then sharpened on Scary Sharp, the backs are so flat it only took 30 to 60 seconds (no more than a minute or two tops) on 3 micron to get them to a polish and very flat. From memory they suggest different angles for the different chisels within the range, life's to short for that so all of mine are ground at 25 honed at 30.

I don't want to start WW3 but you may find that unless your water stones are very flat you will undo the fantastic lapping Veritas have already done.

These are beautifully made and a pleasure to use, I wrote a review for Nick Gibbs on the O1 when they first came out, these PMV 11 have a better ferrule interaction than the original O1 I tested. This detail was one of my only picky gripes of the O1.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... ch2013.pdf

Cheers Peter

Nice write up cheers for the link Peter, I have a tormek and usually finish off on a dmt diamond stone but have been looking to get the scary sharp kit for a while now, I already have a veritas honing guide so only really need the plate glass and abrasives think that will be my next buy after the chisels that is :D

Well I called into my local Axminster on my way home from work and the trigger was pulled picked up the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" veritas chisels :D they are having a 10% off your dearest item purchased on Friday so will pick up the 3/4" and maybe the 1" chisels then.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 776
Good purchase :D

I'd be interested in how these work out for you.

For info, the powdered metal aspect of the Veritas is no trade secret. They compress powered metal alloys into a form or ingot and then it is sintered, (effectively heated). It is a very controlled process and allows for precise tailoring of the end product in terms of hardness and customisation of the particle structure.. Most powered metals are corrosion resistant.

shed9":y1issxr2 said:
Good purchase :D

I'd be interested in how these work out for you.

For info, the powdered metal aspect of the Veritas is no trade secret. They compress powered metal alloys into a form or ingot and then it is sintered, (effectively heated). It is a very controlled process and allows for precise tailoring of the end product in terms of hardness and customisation of the particle structure.. Most powered metals are corrosion resistant.

I'l let you know how I come on with them Shed9, should have the other 2 chisels on Friday to complete my "set" :) but on 1st impressions there very nice in the hand and look pretty too :lol:

Careful?! :D

I wack them into some of the hardest wood used for furniture with a steel gennou.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's exactly the thing they are good at, being wacked into hard stuff. The hardness makes them perfect for that. Anything in another direction then in the cuttiong direction, and they are less perfect. So I guess that I am less carefull in that respect, not levering (on purpose) but more ham fisted so to speak. It doesn't happen to me with western chisels to the same amount.

As long as I take care, they are perfectly fine, they especially shine in dovetailing.

Corneel":y8fnvc5f said:
Careful?! :D

I wack them into some of the hardest wood used for furniture with a steel gennou.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's exactly the thing they are good at, being wacked into hard stuff. The hardness makes them perfect for that. Anything in another direction then in the cuttiong direction, and they are less perfect. So I guess that I am less carefull in that respect, not levering (on purpose) but more ham fisted so to speak. It doesn't happen to me with western chisels to the same amount.

As long as I take care, they are perfectly fine, they especially shine in dovetailing.

Kees, I can take the corners off of my japanese chisels when mortising plane bodies with a heavy mallet. I never work nearly so rough with anything else, though. Usually when I have such a problem (taking corners off of chisels), it's because the angle is a little bit too shallow for abusive work.

Thanks Peter, they seem very nice at 1st glance i'l give them a go through the week, i'l have a look on your shop at the scary sharp kit might get an order in tomorrow :wink:

For morticing my planes I use an old Dutch framers chisel, a 3/4" I believe. That thing is brilliant, survives easilly an entire mortice without any damage to the edge and still sharp to pair the sides. I do drill a relief hole in the middle though, maybe that makes it easier on the chisel. After that a bit f stropping brings it back to full sharpness.

Picked up the rest of the set today at the Axminster 10% off event :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,063
Lovely chisels mate not had a proper go with them yet but pared some oak end grain and they took some lovely fine shavings off with ease and that was without any honing just straight out of the packet, will give them a hone over the weekend and do a bit work with them i'l let you know how they perform mate

I think this has pretty much been a decider for me, Veritas chisels it is. They look superb and I was always a little hesitant on the A2 of the LN's.

MBcarpentry":1etf0c4s said:
Picked up the rest of the set today at the Axminster 10% off event :D

I would advise that you dull the lands from about 1" back - otherwise you will slice up your fingers :shock: DAMHIK!

VeritasChiselReview_html_m2689c0e3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yeah it said in the leaflet that comes with them to do that, and yeah they'd have your fingers the lands are sharp.

shed9":3nvc9wxn said:
I think this has pretty much been a decider for me, Veritas chisels it is. They look superb and I was always a little hesitant on the A2 of the LN's.

You won't be disappointed with them mate, I have a couple of Lie Nielsen planes and love them that's what made me look at there chisels but I much prefer the veritas chisels now I handled them both.

Back