Which Fire Extinguisher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A garden hose is better than all three put together. If you can isolate the electricity - give it a soaking.

Regards

Jonny

JonnyW":1ktai1rc said:
A garden hose is better than all three put together. If you can isolate the electricity - give it a soaking.

Regards

Jonny

If the workshop is wired to current regs the supply should isolate itself in the event of a fault. Theoretically in these circumstances you should never have an electrical fire.

Hi

I would not use a Dry Powder in a small workshop for the following reasons:

You vision will disapear in an instant (may cause issues for you getting out)
has issues with respiratory issues if enough is inhaled
Will destroy any other electrical equipment in there (electrical systems) due to the way the extiguishant works
As already mentioned it is very messy.

Personally, I would go co2 and water, water for all the carbonaceous materials (wood, papaer, textiles etc) and co2 for the electrics. But to be honest if it is a fire in a wooden workshop, that are generally full of wood, chippings, sawdusts, oils, waxes, glues etc then the fire may start and spread at a very rapid rate so an extinguisher might be next to usless. All portable fire fighting extinguishers should be serviced every year and the user should check them on a regular basis especially if they have guages fitted to them, which may indicate a drop in stored pressure (large co2 canister inside it).. To be in with a chance then you should have a decent smoke detector fitted within the workshop in addition the the extinguisher/s.

:)

MrYorke":2zemp1fm said:
Have you checked what your insurers want you to have.....or not to have?

That's a good point =D>
My insurers wanted an alarm, so I got one ( and CCTV \:D/ )

A good point indeed. I have out-building insurance for theft of contents but not so sure without checking if it includes fire damage. I will check.

John

Latest posts

Back