Where can get vase blanks from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married next year and as wedding has a wood theme, given my hobby in turning, i suggested that i could make the center pieces by turning some vase's. I've seen a few videos and they look quite fun and within my skill range. The problem I am having is in trying to source some blanks to make them.

I think i need to make at least 8 but maybe 10. Size wise i am thinking at least 12 x 5 inches and this is where i have the issue as i can only seem to find up to 4 inch wide blanks.

Also due to the number of them i need to make i was thinking green or greenish wood would make the whole thing a bit easier. I do have a year to make them all.
I am also stuck on what type of wood. I have decided they will all be the same but really would like some suggestions on what wood will be best. Not sure what finish i will use, probably a linseed oil type finish. I am a huge fan of walnut but as we don't really grow the wood in the UK it will be too hard and expensive to find.

Help!

Paul

Hi

Don't look for 'blanks' - search out a local sawmill. I'd go for oak, (it can be fumed or treated with iron solution for effect), turned green and if fissures appear then they're 'features'. I'd probably look to use glass liners rather than go to the trouble of trying to seal the wood to hold water, if that's what's required.

Regards Mick

What Mick said, you need branches. Ash would be pretty good too as it is fairly stable and easy to turn green, it will warp some when drying of course, but then so will pretty much all else, so cut a hollow base or make them three legged by cutting away the rest of the foot, they will always be stable then.
Ash can be good for colouring too as the open pores take much more colour than the harder wood and this makes them really stand out, plus this effect makes it look good as a single colour piece too, Most colours work except yellow which doesn't look darker in the pores.

You could glue three 4" blanks together make the 12".
Would need to run them thro a planer/sander to get the surfaces flat before gluing.

As an example of cost Charnwood http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/o ... cid=148are offering oak 600mm x 3" x 3" for £20. ( No idea who Charnwood are just searched for a price)
Glue four together and you get 2 x 12" vase blanks ie £40 per blank ie £400 in timber for a single use . :shock: :shock:

Personally, I'd go back to the drawing board - but I am an unromantic tight-fisted old pipper :shock: :shock: :shock:

Brian

Spindle":1uwvu0ey said:
I could be wrong - but I assumed the OP meant a vase 12" high and 5" in diameter

That's the figures I'm working on.
Glue 4No 3" x 3" together and you get one 6" x 6" blank which would give you the 5" dia vase.
Each square below is 3" x 3"

The length would be 600mm using the example above ie 2ft (approx.) giving two 12" vase blanks.
Brian
Capture 4 No glue.JPG

Attachments

• Capture 4 No glue.JPG
    Capture 4 No glue.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,596
Spindle":19p7sxpc said:
finneyb":19p7sxpc said:
You could glue three 4" blanks together make the 12".

Ahhh I see - it was your description that confused me

Regards Mick

Originally, I was using the OP's comment that he could get 4" deep bowl blanks ( I assume 5-6" dia) I was suggesting stack and glue the blanks to get the 12" blank.

Then I found the price for oak spindles before the price of oak bowl blanks - spindles will probably be cheaper than oak bowl blanks because they are of a smaller section. Sorry about the confusion #-o

Brian

Thanks Everyone, I'll make some phone calls and see what come up.
The oak sleepers look interesting but delivery is ridiculously high.

Paul

buzzby":2m3l1emi said:
The oak sleepers look interesting but delivery is ridiculously high.

Hi

Not sure but I think they can be couriered rather than use the dedicated delivery

Regards Mick

There's another oak beam supplier (http://www.oakbeamuk.com) which is in Cirencester - about 80 mins drive if you wanted to collect yourself. They have oak 'sleepers' for £50 that are about 8 foot x 6 inches x 4 inches - not quite the size your after (and no idea whether they are suitable for turning). A slightly closer option might be Hampshire wood suppliers (http://www.hampshirewoodsuppliers.co.uk) he even has some walnut, but maybe not in such large chunks as you're after.

My experience of new oak railway sleepers is that thy are good for garden landscaping (but not as good as the reclaimed ones) and not much else. They tend to be made of the grottiest bits of wood that are no use for anything else. Invariably most will contain the pith and if not very very green will already have bad splits. Higher priced green oak beams will be better but still not great.

I have used oak beam off-cuts for square rustic candle holders and doorstops (with forged handles) and with these splits and part of the character but I have not found much I would want to turn on a lthe. I think the earlier suggestions of starting with lumps of tree are you best bet. Most native hardwoods would do and as has already been mentioned Ash is as good as any, low moisture content to start with and dries well with minimal splitting. Sycamore is one of my favorites but I have found it very prone to star shake if you leave the pith in.

Of course if you go with lumps of tree then time is going to be your enemy unless you want very rustic, wibbly, wobby warped vases (which can look mighty fine - so not saying don't do that) then you need to factor in drying time.

Back