When your making kitchens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Will soon embark upon a kitchen build...
If i make a carcass say for a kitchen wall unit and it's 720mm x 600mm wide.
What size do you all make the doors to fit it? I'm imagining a few mm smaller than the carcass dimension would that be correct?
So I'd make a carcass at 720x600 and a door of 716x598 to fit it... or would you go full height door at 720x598?
Cheers :ho2

Light pelmet and cornice? Lay on doors, 2mm all the way around. That's what I aim for.

James

mahomo59":238ikffl said:
Light pelmet and cornice? Lay on doors, 2mm all the way around. That's what I aim for.

James

Yeah i'll put some sort of pelmet and cornice and it will be lay-on doors.

So you would make the door 716x596?

Yep James

A 720 x 600 would be classed as a standard size door which if you bought in would be supplied at 716 x 596 as mahomo59 says so allow 2mm all round for adjustment and to maintain an even gap. Drawers are the same btw.

Bob

Lons":17mlkesu said:
Yep James

A 720 x 600 would be classed as a standard size door which if you bought in would be supplied at 716 x 596 as mahomo59 says so allow 2mm all round for adjustment and to maintain an even gap. Drawers are the same btw.

Bob

Nice one, Thanks guys

If there's a run of cabinets, you may want to make end unit doors 3mm smaller overall and central doors 2mm small overall.

So the gaps are 2 then 1+1 then 1+1 then 1+1 then 2

So to speak.

(or if you aren't using end panels then make the end door 1 mm smaller overall so it's flush on the end edge)

I used to measure the entire run (say 5 units), and then simply subtract 12 mm (6 x 2mm gaps) and divide the remainder by 5.

Easier to do than explain.

(and only knock 2 mm off the height overall so the bottom of the door was flush with the carcass bottom edge)

I made my kitchen wall unit doors the same height as the carcass as there is no need not to. I agree with the comments on the width as I fitted the doors flush with end panels and a 2mm gap between doors.

I prefer to hide the light pelmet on lay on doors, so if I do a 720 carcass I'll put a 30mm light pelmet below and make the door 750.

Latest posts

Back