What thread form is a lathe spindle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a Jet mini lathe that takes the same chuck as my old Axminster lathe.
It's got a 1" x 8tpi thread. The question is what thread form will it be?
Both whitworth and UNC taps are available in 1" x 8tpi and they have different thread angles one being 55 and the other 60.

Col.

Walney Col":2u1h1cds said:
Both whitworth and UNC taps are available in 1" x 8tpi and they have different thread angles one being 55 and the other 60.
This might or might not help - I just offered-up a Whitworth thread gauge to my APTC M330 (which I'm fairly sure is a rebadged Jet) spindle, and it's a really good fit. Unfortunately I don't have an 8TPI UNC gauge to compare it with, so not proof-positive :(

eta: BEWARE ! If it's an older lathe google "Jet lathe spindle thread-form" and you'll see that the same model might have been produced in more than one thread-form, and even Jet don't know which is which. Might do better to ask Axminster what the thread was on your old Axi lathe. Also, be aware that a 1"UNC male thread will loosely fit a 1"WW female (or vice-versa, can't remember which way round it is), so how good is the old chuck's fit on the new lathe ?

Walney Col":n8kfptfv said:
In an ideal world it ought to be easy to tell the difference - a correct Whitworth 55 degree form should have a radius top and bottom whereas a Unified (or Metric) 60 degree form should have a flat at top and bottom.

In reality, Unified and metric forms are also produced with a radius at the root and Whitworth forms were/are often produced with a flat at the top. It is also common practice to make internal threads only 5/8 deep - ie. the core diameter is enlarged to make tapping or screw-cutting easier.

I've created a comparison of both forms so that you can see the potential interference/clearance - in an ideal 'full-form' thread.

Attachments

• BSW-UNC comparison.png
    BSW-UNC comparison.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,181
Back