What hinges to use externally?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm laying some decking. 6 inch treated boards on 6x2's.

In the middle towards the rear I'm making a hatch that hides a sand-pit underneath for my daughter.

I've thought about being able to lift the hatch off completely then using it as a table top but I'd prefer to just hinge it back and hook it to the wall behind to secure it whilst in use.

So, the question is, what hinges can I use? Ideally I'd really like them so you can't see them but I'm not sure what I could use. I thought about good quality 4 inch butt hinges instead but I'd say they would eventually rust. They would need to be pretty strong as the hatch would be approx 800x600mm of deck boards and frame underneath.

Cheers in advance. Mike

Cheers everyone.

My thoughts were those SS hinges. Was just hoping that there would be a reasonably easy method of hinging without them being seen......I guess a bit like concealed hinges......just rust proof/hard wearing and able to hinge such a thick "door"

You could a suitable friction hinge such as the sumo egress hinge from coastal. These are hidden when closed and are stainless construction.

These hinges have a 13.5mm stack height, so in practice if you leave a 4mm gap and then a 9mm rebate that be easily achieved.

They wont open more than 90 degrees.

My first thought would be to use fire door hinges but they generally have a 14mm dia knuckle

MrYorke":3skijge8 said:
Cheers everyone.

My thoughts were those SS hinges. Was just hoping that there would be a reasonably easy method of hinging without them being seen......I guess a bit like concealed hinges......just rust proof/hard wearing and able to hinge such a thick "door"

Would SOSS hinges be an option?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=soss+ ... 1099&dpr=1

whiskywill":3tp0sxgn said:
mrpercysnodgrass":3tp0sxgn said:
How about these bar top hinges? You cant see from the photo but they are very good quality, heavy duty hinges and they sit in flush.
http://www.martin.co.uk/hinges/architec ... flap-hinge

Don't these fit under the bar flap that hinges downwards so the top of the bar is flush and clear?

No these hinges are cut in flush and allow the lid/counter top to open 180°

P1020221.jpeg

P1020222.jpeg

Attachments

• P1020221.jpeg
    P1020221.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P1020222.jpeg
    P1020222.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 47
mrpercysnodgrass":pfoljw1b said:
Mike,
If you would like these hinges to use for your sandpit lid, you are welcome to have them for the price of the postage.

That's very gentoo us of you. If happily take them off yours hands.

Thanks very much, Mike

Back