what are CLIFTON doing.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My most used block plane is the small apron/102, doubt that applies to the general woodworking population. Such a nice size for one handed use though.

Vann":38ecrx4c said:
PAC1":38ecrx4c said:
...you have the bench plane market covered but there is a need for a british block plane and more. I know that requires investment and time to develop but it needs to happen.
The development appears to have been done...

...in green :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

I reckon that's been Photoshopped!

The iron stamps are all straight! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jimi

Look at how those shavings accent that Green paint. Soon we'll be saying: "they don't make 'em like they used to".

Oh wait...

Peter Sefton":38duf16b said:
One early poor review came out years ago and people hang onto every word - the perpetuation of this is ridiculous. I believe the review may have been removed now or rewritten but I have not seen it.

The new input from across the pond maybe part of the change of mind I was referring to above, lets hope this is part of a more level playing field...

Just came across this thread. I'm keen to buy a Clifton 51/2 and already own a couple of their planes. I disagree somewhat with the comment here though. When I make something, I think I do my best to make it as precisely as I can. I rarely succeed in doing a job as well as I'd like so maybe that is what you mean by an obsessive disorder, but it ensures I try to do better next time. I realise in this case the subject of debate its only a stamp, but to my eye it reflects the care that has gone into manufacture, whether or not it is really a true reflection. I love my Clifton planes, even the stay set cap irons, and mine have nicely centred stamps and look a treat. Each time I use them, I try to do work that justifies their use. Just because its hand-made doesn't mean it has to be wonky or badly finished - that would be a bit insulting to all the craftsman who strive for perfection and would justify the rubbish that some other folk put out (IMHO, of course).

MIGNAL":99scxmxy said:
Sad really. It's obvious that some folk have been so conditioned by industrial production that even a makers mark has to be subjected to obsessive disorders. Even sadder when it's on a woodworkers hand tool forum.
It's a mark, a stamp. a signature. What on earth has that got to do with the quality of the rest of the Plane? If you can't discern that it has zero bearing on the quality of the Plane then perhaps you need to take up a new hobby or profession.
I suggest stacking shelves. But make sure you take your spirit level and that all the 'Heinz' are pointing in the exact same direction.

Peter Sefton":1ofwq5ir said:
Peter Sefton":1ofwq5ir said:
One early poor review came out years ago and people hang onto every word - the perpetuation of this is ridiculous. I believe the review may have been removed now or rewritten but I have not seen it.

The new input from across the pond maybe part of the change of mind I was referring to above, lets hope this is part of a more level playing field...

What is comical about U.S. forums is how so many have to follow/imitate the crowd, and also the number of bloggers/posters that are self pro-claimed experts, probably developing their skills as they tell others how to work. Through "X" number of years, if you use your tools instead of talking about them, then you gain some skills.

I remember when Clifton was bashed over here and being somewhat of a contrarian, since some catalog houses were dropping the brand, I was able to pick up my Clifton #3 dirt cheap. There was not a damn thing wrong with the plane and it remains to this day one of my favorite planes bought new.

iNewbie":3hfq6c8j said:
yetihunting":3hfq6c8j said:
Long time listener, first time caller.

I liked the old look, I like the new look!
"Graphite", so depending on lighting, it looks
either somewhat bare iron or somewhat black, right?
Those times I tried fiddling with old Stanleys, the tar
was the first thing to go. And my pair of czech record clone vises?
They're about to get stripped just as well.

Here's a one guy in the states that drools over Clifton planes.
Our dollar is weak against the pound, and shipping is a week
in pounds across a pond. :D
In 2014, the Clifton lineup is a little to a lot more expensive than
Lie-Nielsen, which, in turn, is a little to a lot more than Veritas.
So, like many North Americans, I look and don't touch.
Since everyone decided to chime in with opinions, I'll throw
my bid in for finding a way to compete out here, price-wise, while staying profitable.
It can't be easy, the competition only sells direct (no distributor and virtually no retailers) on my continent.

A #3 is cheaper (here) in the usa than in the uk - i've not compared the others:

The Best Things

That's cheating, the The Best Things sells Clifton planes way cheaper than everybody else does/did.
One of my favourite virtual robot shops, btw.

So, I just caught up with the ten-pages that came about since I last visited and I notice that no one has suggested that the Fiery Phoenix Clifton ought to re-introduce the old rectangular Preston router plane.

The Fiery Phoenix Clifton ought to re-introduce the old rectangular Preston router plane.

Tony Zaffuto":1t0qks00 said:
Peter Sefton":1t0qks00 said:
Peter Sefton":1t0qks00 said:

What is comical about U.S. forums is how so many have to follow/imitate the crowd, and also the number of bloggers/posters that are self pro-claimed experts, probably developing their skills as they tell others how to work. Through "X" number of years, if you use your tools instead of talking about them, then you gain some skills.

I remember when Clifton was bashed over here and being somewhat of a contrarian, since some catalog houses were dropping the brand, I was able to pick up my Clifton #3 dirt cheap. There was not a damn thing wrong with the plane and it remains to this day one of my favorite planes bought new.

100%

May I add?:

"According to such and such issue of Fine Woodworking / Popular Woodworking of such and such month and such and such year......."

And may I exaggerate?:

"Kirschen are no good, you should buy the Narex."

Interesting. I just did a price check on a Clifton No.5½ (for another thread). I don't see retailers shouting from the rooftops about the about the new colour scheme, nor the new look iron. Maybe they too have reservations...?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":154ik12f said:
Interesting. I just did a price check on a Clifton No.5½ (for another thread). I don't see retailers shouting from the rooftops about the about the new colour scheme, nor the new look iron. Maybe they too have reservations...?

Cheers, Vann.

Or old stock Vann

Cheers Peter

Back