Wax Finish Fail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very disappointed with how this came out. The microcrystalline in the grain has turned white ☹☹

I could definitely have done a better job in the corners with removing the excess. At the time though, it was clear, so couldn't see it.

But not sure about the wax in the grain.
20210709_185955.jpg20210709_190007.jpg20210709_190015.jpg20210709_190024.jpg

The sealer fills the grain, or most of it. The wax hasn’t turned white, it is white, chunks of it are always going to look that colour. But it’s worth the perseverance, sealer + wax is a very fast and also durable finish

I've used wax on metal things before, and ended up with white stuff in the grooves.

I'm not suggesting you do this, at least not without a good test, but I've found that going over the part with a heat gun melts the wax and thins out those areas where it's gone white through thickness.

I really don't know if it's a good idea for your job, but it's somthing to consider?

The sealer fills the grain, or most of it. The wax hasn’t turned white, it is white, chunks of it are always going to look that colour. But it’s worth the perseverance, sealer + wax is a very fast and also durable finish
I know it's white when it's viewed in a thick lump in the tin, but when you apply it as a thin layer, it's perfectly clear until it dries. Which is what I meant.

But yes, I shall perseve.

Do think about the hot air gun.

From your photos it may (or may not!) pretty much instantly resolve the issues.

Sander sealer,,,I never thought about it, seems like a commercial / production thing to use but Im probably wrong, however in recent years Ive been laying on a coat or two of thinned polyurathane varnish before finishing with Briwax and am very pleased with the results esp on window boards and the like,,,my own version of sandersealer I suppose!

Sorry Julian, I keep forgetting to try it. But I agree, it's worth a shot as it can't look any worse :)

I've now tried this. Quite pleased with the results. The whiteness within the grain almost instantly disappeared with a bit of heat. Now to see if it dries white again after a few hours :)

It will go more translucent as it cools, but, once the temperature has stabilized, there will be no (or very little) further change.

Back