Wax advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm having trouble waxing a couple of tables I've just made. I've used wax loads of times, but not on a large flat surface. I can't seem to get rid of the swirly rings. I've followed the instructions to the letter. Is it just a matter of more layers and more elbow grease?
Thanks for any advice.

If you have "swirly rings" this is where you have applied the wax in a circular motion and it has dried before you have straightened it out. There are two ways round this, elbow grease, just buff really hard with the grain, the type of rag you are using will make a big difference as to how easy or hard this will be. The best was mutton cloth which sadly you can't get anymore, the stockinet that you can buy in Halfords is ok providing you put it through a 40∘ wash first, even then it can leave the surface with tramlines caused by the weave, this is overcome by giving a final buff with old T shirt cotton or chamois leather. The second way is to apply more wax, this time work in small sections of about 30cm wide, apply the wax again in circular motion and then quickly straighten with the grain using plenty of pressure. Have a second rag ready and wipe off any excess wax with the grain before proceeding with the next section. If by chance this is still not working you could apply more wax but this time use '0000' wire wool instead of a rag and apply with the grain only. Then wipe off excess ect.
P.S. What flavour of wax and rags are you using?

That sounds like good advice Paul. I'm using briwax and cheapo j-cloths. I'll change rags and work in smaller areas. I was buffing like a good'un yesterday. Thanks mate. I'll report back.

I've never tried the mc wax. I tend to use what's in the cupboard. I'll try it next time. Thanks

Mar_mite":18n708xa said:
I've never tried the mc wax. I tend to use what's in the cupboard. I'll try it next time. Thanks

But don't forget that some finishes/glues/etc have a limited shelf-life and will go off. I always mark up my stuff now with the month/year of purchase.

Quick update. Couldn't get hold of the stocking net. So used muslin cloth. It was better, but not perfect. Then I found a tin of 'flag' wax even farther back in the cupboard. This was better than briwax. Now happy with the finish. Thanks for all the advise.

Back