Veritas low angle smoothers - which one to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Been looking to buy a smoother plane for a while now and I expecting a tax rebate soon so now is the time to do it!!

Main thing I need it for are for removing circular saw marks from timber so I don't have to spend ages sanding them out.

I don't use a shooting board nor can I ever see myself using on.

Which one should I got for?

Jack

This is a good question and has been addressed fairly comprehensively by Derek. Have a look at these reviews and see if they shed enough light on the differences for you to make a decision.
http://inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/index.html
If you are going to use the plane for removing saw marks on timber, then possibly a LA Jack plane would be more suitable.
Enjoy Derek's reviews, they are very good.
Cheers
MC

I was also thinking that the LA Jack may be a good solution, it would also maintain the straight edge on the sawn piece.

A standard 5 1/2 would also do the trick. My money would be on a Clifton 5 1/2.

Cheers

Aled

Hi

Sometimes I'll want to use the plane for removing the saw marks made from my Festool TS55 when hanging doors. Occasionaly the door will purposely have a hollow in it to suit a unstraight door frame. I think a smoother will "follow" the hollow better than a Jack plane.

Also I want something for "scribing" skirting boards to uneven floors. Again I think a Jack plane will be too long for this.

The LAS is 63mm wide, the BUS is 77mm wide. Skirting boards are typically 22 mm thick and a typical internal door is 34mm thick. Is the BUS a bit too wide for these?

Jack

I think I would use an electric plane for your skirts.
You don't need to use the whole length of the plane on doors. Most site chippies will use an electric plane for this.

can I use an electric plane for removing saw marks from timber aswell then instead of getting a hand plane?

My son used a Stanley 60½ block plane to scribe a whole room of skirting board. It didn't do it a lot of good. He thought that he should open it up for the thickest shavings he could manage and then push hard.

That would be my Stanley 60½...

I persuaded him to get an electric planer. He loves it.

crackerjack":9jgoph49 said:
can I use an electric plane for removing saw marks from timber aswell then instead of getting a hand plane?

You can, and I've done it, but to be honest it doesn't feel right. There is less control than using a sharp hand plane, but if time was money then I'd give it a go. Set it very fine, though.

I reckon electric for wasting stuff and block plane for tidying up

It wont give you as good a finish as a hand plane but on the bottom of a skirting who cares?
You can always tickle the finish on a door with a block plane or sandpaper.

Back