using a saw to part off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
Upon finishing my ash bowl I didn't have enough room to use my parting tool, and used a tenon saw. Is this good practice?

I was debating this with my father and wish to prove him wrong.

Any information regarding this would be most appreciated

Thanks

Roger

Nothing wrong with that. As long as the lathe was not running ;)

welcome.gif
to the forum roggatismus.

Nothing wrong with using a saw with the lathe stationary, I regularly use a slim Japanese saw to do the same.

Using a saw whilst the lathe is rotating on something as variable in texture as wood though can be fraught with risk, especially something like a tenon saw where your hand is enclosed in the handle, if it catches you could seriously damage your wrist before the lathe stalled or something gave way.

im talking about using it while turning. I did not feel there was any dangers involved, but i may be wrong.

i had it on the lowest speed.

Roger

Roger welcome, It's not a good idea to use a saw for parting with the lathe running,no matter how thin the saw is. I found this out to my own cost a couple of yrs. ago when I knew everything!! Its amazing how little you know when you know everything! Anyway I was lucky and got away with a few brusied knuckles where it pulled my hand against the work piece.
So be careful and learn something before you know everything. REgards Boysie

roggatismus":18vqrud0 said:
im talking about using it while turning. I did not feel there was any dangers involved, but i may be wrong...

Put it this way... had you been in my workshop (before I retired) you would have received a formal disciplinary warning relating to unsafe practice...

:shock: The Lathe RUNNING ??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Erm, No, Rog ... :shock:

E be askin for a whole lot of trubble doin stuff like that ! :wink:
Another (very big) Vote and recommendation that you don't go that route.

Hi & Welcome by the way ... :D

Please, keep the limbs and metacarpals intact !
No saws & rotating machinery !

Also .. in similar vein ... careful with cloths, sleeves, bracelets & watches, hair yada yada ...
A Lathe has got really nasty teeth if it decides to bite back :wink:
It don't take no prisoners ! :D

Don't worry Roger. Easy mistake to make.

What sort of turning do you do? Have you been doing it for long?

im a lucky 16 year old whose brilliant DT teacher gave him his old lathe.

Bought all the missing parts and turn bowls and candlesticks and once i get my chuck i'll be turning my elm burr and some goblets hopefully.

Im a bit of a novice and i keep breaking my tools. i think its because im impatient with bowlmaking, especially the hollowing out.

I mostly turn ash but i have the odd piece of ash and elm. Having a woodcutter's son as a friend is fantastic

Hello again, 'Woodcutter's Son's Friend' ... I am your long-lost uncle Jenx
:lol: :lol: :lol:

heh heh ... thats an enviable position to be in ... having access to all that free timber !

You've started at the right time, buddy.. the earlier the better !
that's great to hear. 8)
I'm just a beginner too.. and there's one or two others hereabouts also.. so you 'ask away' with anything you're not certain of, and you'll never have to wait very long for an answer from the fella's that really know what they're talking about :D

Great that you have found this little corner of t'internet ....
like most who are 'new' to it -- i've found 'here' to be an amazing source of information and encouragement... and I'm sure you will too.

Take it easy, and we'll catch you when your not 'spinnin' :wink: :D

Opps i've done this before...

I did have the saw positioned so that it wasn't grabbing though.

If a person wanted to make a very deep thin cut so that it looked like there was the pieces were joined together what would you use?

Crazy - I've got a Robert Sorby slim-jim, short bladed parting tool thingy which is no more than 2 or 3mm thick. I wouldn't like to be without it.

crazylilting":nr3ghsse said:
......If a person wanted to make a very deep thin cut so that it looked like there was the pieces were joined together what would you use?
A thin parting tool like the pattern shown at the top of this pic.
partingtools.jpg

LW beat me to the typing.

If you were inferring by the previous (oops) comment that you are still using a saw with the lathe rotating then all I can say is that you will say more than Oops when having broken fingers or wrist repaired.

No i don't do it any more. I'm still waiting for my mini max to be delivered and waiting for the motor i ordered for the jubilee. It looks like work is busy again any how, so i won't be doing any turning for at least a couple of weeks. Hopefully in my new shop, if the lawyers get their act together. Thanks for the tips and the warning.

Latest posts

Back