Unusual Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldmason8

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this at a carboot sale the other day-

I wasn't sure what it was but by coincidence a similar tool was for sale on Ebay which was described it as a gunstockers dogleg chisel - a tool mentioned in Salamens Dictionary of woodwoking tools but unfortunately there is no pictures of the tool.
The blade is about 7/16" wide and is sharp. It is a nicely made tool but no manufacturers marks. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Regards Arnold

Looks like a tack lifter used by upholsterers to remove the existing tacks. Only difference is there is normally a small groove in the blade to help grab the tack.

Well that one on eBay recently is in my kitchen ( :mrgreen: ) so I'll post a picture of it later when I get home.

It's definitely a chisel...and blinking sharp at that!

Jimi

Hi All
I am sure is not a ripping chisel - The steel is too hard and takes a good edge - There is no sign of it being hit with a hammer - The edge was sharp when I bought it and looks as though it has been sharpened up regularly - If it had been used against steel tacks the edge would be slightly rounded or chipped which it was not.

Thanks forall the replies-------Arnold

arnoldmason8":utny66tj said:
Hi All
I am sure is not a ripping chisel - The steel is too hard and takes a good edge - There is no sign of it being hit with a hammer - The edge was sharp when I bought it and looks as though it has been sharpened up regularly - If it had been used against steel tacks the edge would be slightly rounded or chipped which it was not.

Thanks forall the replies-------Arnold

Agreed...it's a chisel

Would it be used to cut the notch in the stock of a rifle, where the trigger guard fits in? (Depending on model of course?) :? :?:

Benchwayze":2u5ls3i0 said:
Would it be used to cut the notch in the stock of a rifle, where the trigger guard fits in? (Depending on model of course?) :? :?:

I received my one from the FleaBay auction mentioned and it's a palm chisel similar to a carving chisel....

20140929_233717.jpg

The edge was beveled and reasonably sharp...I just squared it up a bit...

20140929_233735-1.jpg

It was sold as a gunstock carving chisel so that's what I thought it was but I'm happy to stand corrected!

Whatever its purpose...it's blinking sharp!

Jimi

jimi43":2kc0qtxq said:
Benchwayze":2kc0qtxq said:

I received my one from the FleaBay auction mentioned and it's a palm chisel similar to a carving chisel....

20140929_233717.jpg

The edge was beveled and reasonably sharp...I just squared it up a bit...

20140929_233735-1.jpg

It was sold as a gunstock carving chisel so that's what I thought it was but I'm happy to stand corrected!

Whatever its purpose...it's blinking sharp!

Jimi

What's that ferrule made of - it's looks like pressed tin, but I can't see clearly?

BugBear

Latest posts

Back