unusual screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwigly

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this unusual right angle drive screwdriver. I've not seen one like it before.
Big, heavy, requires two haned operation. You hold the metal shaft in one hand, and turn the wooden handle to drive the gears that turn the screwdriver blade.
I'm assuming its a screwdriver, made for accessing screws with restricted clearances, maybe on furniture?
The "London pattern" wooden handle looks English to me, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Anyone have any ideas on when it was made, by who, for some specific job..?

Attachments

• DSC01607.JPG
    DSC01607.JPG
    965.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01605.JPG
    DSC01605.JPG
    883.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01606.JPG
    DSC01606.JPG
    863.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01608.JPG
    DSC01608.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Interesting. You might not get much power out of it, I wonder if it was for a slotted adjuster of some kind rather than actual screwdriving. I recall from early car fixing days fine carburettor adjustments with stubby screwdrivers in awkward places, something like this would have been ideal.

I have a much more modern one, a cheap thing that I bought years ago to access some adjustment screws on my motorbike that I would have otherwise needed to strip parts off for, used it once and never needed to use it again, it's hard to keep the force directed towards the screw and is no good for loosening anything that's very tight/stuck as you've more chance of bending the shaft of the driver.

Its a great looking screwdriver but I can immagine a lot of frustration if trying to use it in anger! Maybe as has been said, its some form of adjuster?
Just as a matter of intrest, one of the kids bought me a very cheap angled screwdriver attachments, the one with a hex shaft and not quite 90o head that accepts regular screwdriver bits, and I used it with my impact driver to screw up a load of Joist hangers, used biggish pozie screws and kept presure on the screw and it did the job, about 30 hangers before it had worn itself out and fell apart.
Steve.

found a picture of another one, slightly different handle design, same thin bladed driver.
I think the suggestion that this is for adjusting some screw setting (carburetor, or ?), not for driving wood screws, is more likely correct
1690805911432.png

You=“Lovely weather were having,,”
Reply” I see you have a screwdriver on the wall”
You= “Yes its a conversation piece,,more tea vicar”
Quiet interlude,(both parties deep in thought,,,)

Eventual polite reply "that looks interesting, so do you have a favourite way of screwing..."

found a picture of another one, slightly different handle design, same thin bladed driver.
I think the suggestion that this is for adjusting some screw setting (carburetor, or ?), not for driving wood screws, is more likely correct
View attachment 163722
Hard to tell scale of the one in your picture but I have one very similar about 6" long. No brand name but came as a job lot at auction from a garage that had closed down, and was in a box with various definitely carburettor related tools. This was probably 30 years ago. Not sure where it is now as I put them all away somewhere safe :unsure:

Hard to tell scale of the one in your picture but I have one very similar about 6" long. No brand name but came as a job lot at auction from a garage that had closed down, and was in a box with various definitely carburettor related tools. This was probably 30 years ago. Not sure where it is now as I put them all away somewhere safe :unsure:
It's about 16 Inches, there's a 12in ruler in one of the pictures.

Looks interesting. Polish it, put it on the wall til you need it.
Conversation piece.
This idea is a bust.
Polished it, put it on the wall, talked to it, but I can't get any conversation out of it.
(I could try flowers, or chocolates, but its probably only good for screwing)

I love the "conversation" tracts... Great play in the vein, tradition of "more tea Vicar" said the duchess...

Back