Unidentified Stanley Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a couple of block planes in my recent gumtree haul, and having sharpened the blade on one of them, had good reason to use it today. It works great. It doesn't have anything fancy such as blade angle or mouth adjustment, just blade advancement, but it works very indeed and took some super "onion-skin" like shavings. Sorry it's looking a little dusty in the photo, it didn't look like it at the time (under the workshop lights that is), but it's in great condition.

block_01.jpg

It isn't marked with a model number. I realise this thing isn't equipped with a blade (tilt) angle adjustment, but it seemed square. Is there a manual way to adjust? I guess sharpening the blade square is the key.

block_02.jpg

Also, I haven't seen one of these before. I'm guessing it's one of the rarer Stanley block planes - not that anything Stanley is exactly "rare", maybe "less ubiquitous" is a better phrase!

block_03.jpg

I'll dig the other one out tomorrow and sharpen that a bit. It's not in anywhere near as good condition (though still a solid user) but has all the gizmos that this one lacks.

Attachments

• block_01.jpg
    block_01.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • block_02.jpg
    block_02.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • block_03.jpg
    block_03.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,223
Thanks. Yes, you're right. The links says you can get a knob for it from a 110 – the one on this plane is slightly split. It doesn't affect it much at the moment but I now know where to grab one if it goes completely.

Oops, total numpty, it's another one that has no markings on it, this one is marked Stanley No. 61. Made in U.S.A.

Sorry, I've taken apart and reassembled that many things lately!

Here's the other one. A Stanley 18 I think. This one doesn't have anything other than "Stanley" on the body.

block_18_01.jpg

While it works, I can't help but think that the mechanism that advances the iron is a bit the worse for wear. Are those teeth supposed to be longer?

block_18_02.jpg

I'd like to clean this one up a bit. It's a bit of a mess. There's "patina" and there's "fugly"...

Attachments

• block_18_01.jpg
    block_18_01.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • block_18_02.jpg
    block_18_02.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,057
I've got that block plane still in use, I inherited it from my grandfather so its well over 60 years old. The teeth on the adjuster are not much different on mine - they still work.

Thanks for the confirmation Seiken. I wondered if them being so short meant that I wasn't getting much iron advancement - I am, just it felt a bit limited.

Nope, there is a version that does. That's why this one is rare according to blood and gore (or whatever that site is called) because it's not got one - everyone opted for the more sensible one!

DigitalM":3envr11l said:
I realise this thing isn't equipped with a blade (tilt) angle adjustment, but it seemed square. Is there a manual way to adjust? I guess sharpening the blade square is the key..

lateral adjustment is no problem. a small brass hammer or similar to tap at the top side of the blade, or as I do, hold the body in one hand, fingers underneath and thumb holding the cap down. loosen the cap a bit with the other hand, slip the iron side to side 'till it's where you want it, lock the cap.

Stanley Block.jpg

Hi DigitalM,

Just photographed my block plane for comparison, the only marking apart from"Stanley" is "made in USA", the same for the blade.

Attachments

• Stanley Block.jpg
    Stanley Block.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 923
Yes, twins!

Thanks for that, I think my blade advance is a little more worn than yours, but I was concerned that something more major had broken off.

Now I look at it the "notch" in the centre of the bit the engages with the iron seems a tad lower on yours, is there any play on the pivot letting it drop slightly? If there is you can possibly drift the pin out and replace it if there's any wear on it.

No free play at all. It's the top profile that must be worn. Excellent idea though. Looking at that part, if it ever comes to it, I don't think it would be too trick to make a replacement just with files (and patience). It's working still (that is, it advances the blade). If I see one at a tool fair/vintage fair/car boot I'll try it for comparison. Having seen yours though I suspect mine is just a little more worn but giving me full the correct amount of advancement etc. Hard to know really though without trying another!

DigitalM":cyiuv70q said:
Thanks. Yes, you're right. The links says you can get a knob for it from a 110 – the one on this plane is slightly split. It doesn't affect it much at the moment but I now know where to grab one if it goes completely.

Bear with me here DM... I'm fairly sure I still have a wooden knob from a 110 that got blinged into my first attempt at an infill plane (of sorts). Now from memory it also has a small crack in it but it's wood and could easily be repaired if you would like it? I'll wait for an answer before I go digging round the shed because it's Really Quite Small. I do seem to remember seeing it the Box Of Miscellaneous Doom, (guarded by Terrible Spiders under the Hideous Shabby Bench of Putting Stuff On) though. If it's anywhere it will be in there. Probably next to that ring from the Hobbit. I'd imagine it's beech or similar.
I even have a photo! Must remember to get out more. And probably tidy up the shed a bit.
Let me know and I'll pop it in the post sometime this side of Christmas.

96LHfwX.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Hi BM101. That's a wonderful offer, but the only problem with mine is that is has probably exactly the same crack that yours has. I think if I really, really tightened it, it would get worse. So I need to get on and do a discrete repair on it. If that doesn't work, I'll put in a request for your to brave a trip to the shed! Thx again.

Back