Ultex diamond stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottdimelow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought some Ultex diamond stones and wondered if anyone could comment on their longevity. I've seen them mentioned in a couple of threads, so I thought I'd go for them.

Not a bad price for a double sided stone, I got two stones for £90 from ITS.

TIA

I'd never heard of Ultex; a bit of Googling revealed that they are 'a new, premium brand for tradesmen'.

On the basis that they're a new brand, I doubt anybody will know what the longevity of their sharpening stones is like yet. On the basis that they are aiming at the 'premium' end of the market, probably should be OK. Well - you'll find out for yourself, in time!

One small comment - looking at their website, the finest diamond stone I could see was 1200 grit. That should give a perfectly adequate edge for most duties, but for the ultimate polished edge (end-grain paring, final finishing smoothing plane irons and the like) you may find you need to invest in a finer stone eventually. I gather that there's an 8000grit diamond stone about (not sure who makes it), but any 'polishing' stone should do; translucent Arkansas, Welsh slate, high-number water stone - even fine diamond paste on a piece of flat metal.

I've had a set of the Ultex Double Sided Diamond Plates for ages (300/600 & 1000/1200), they are an exact copy of the Trend double sided stones. I also have a Shapton 16,000 Ceramic which I use for final honing. I use the 300 side to keep the Shapton flat.

The Ultex stones are very aggressive when first used but they settle down quite quickly.

Ed Bray":2w35zr5n said:
I've had a set of the Ultex Double Sided Diamond Plates for ages (300/600 & 1000/1200), they are an exact copy of the Trend double sided stones.

Or they're the original manufacturer.

Or Ultex and Trend share a manufacturer.

Who knows, in the age of globalisation and out sourcing?

BugBear

Back