Triton Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well.....today my trusty old, 7 year old Nu Tool router blew up. Cost £35 new with 12 bits and blow molded case. Not bad value !!

Fancy a Triton as I believe they can raise and lower from above.. I don't use the router that much so top of the range is not really necessary. I looked at JOF 001 and TRA 001. My question is......do all Tritons offer height adjustment from above? If so do I buy a key or make one, or does the machine come with one supplied.

Is the half inch collet supplied ?

Is the height adjustment from top across the complete range of travel, not just fine adjustment ?

Thank you

Top of the range is not about how often you are going to use the router, more about how you are going to use it.

The main difference between the TRA001 and JOF001 (aside from the £90) is the power rating, the JOF001 is only 1.5hp whereas the TRA001 is 3.5hp, this will make a massive difference if you are using the router for large cuts such as with raised panel cutting. More power is beneficial and will cut better than a underpowered router.

Most of the newer Triton range have (TRA001, MOF001 and JOF001) have above the table adjustment with supplied crank and they also come with 1/2" collets, strangely they don't all come with 1/4" collets (but my TRA001 did).

TRA001 = 3.5HP £210
MOF001 = 2.0HP £155
JOF001 = 1.5HP £120

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply Ed.

I don't do raised panels, and am really not interested in ever doing them !!!!
My main router use is edging to small tables, planters, shelving etc. I am not too fussed re the cost, but the JOF seemed much neater to the eye than the TRA.
Will keep researching in case a bargain crops up on Black Friday !!

Does the lift facility lift all the way up and down from the top ?

skronk":3m0idi12 said:
Thanks for reply Ed.

I don't do raised panels, and am really not interested in ever doing them !!!!
My main router use is edging to small tables, planters, shelving etc. I am not too fussed re the cost, but the JOF seemed much neater to the eye than the TRA.
Will keep researching in case a bargain crops up on Black Friday !!

Does the lift facility lift all the way up and down from the top ?

My TRA001 goes the full travel from the top, when you get it fully up the spindle lock occurs and then you have one handed collet release, works very well.

Ed Bray":3r5y495e said:
My TRA001 goes the full travel from the top, when you get it fully up the spindle lock occurs and then you have one handed collet release, works very well.

I too find this a really useful trait especially as it is in the router table and it is easy to change the bits this way :D

I agree as well. I've been really pleased with the TRA01. I do find it frustrating though that you have to switch the router off (on the router) in order for it to raise to its full height for bit changing. I know it's a safety feature but if it's connected to a NVR switch in a table (which most would be ) then it's somewhat unnecessary. However it's a minor niggle with an excellent product.

I have a cheapo 1/2" router (B&Q jobbie), which I'm not too impressed with, which is fitted to a 10mm thick phenolic plate in my router table. I like the fixed base adjustment feature and the micro adjuster as it means I could dispense with my home made router lift. Will it rise through the 10mm phenolic plate sufficient to be able to get the spanner on from above?

Mannyroad":vngbabt6 said:
I have a cheapo 1/2" router (B&Q jobbie), which I'm not too impressed with, which is fitted to a 10mm thick phenolic plate in my router table. I like the fixed base adjustment feature and the micro adjuster as it means I could dispense with my home made router lift. Will it rise through the 10mm phenolic plate sufficient to be able to get the spanner on from above?
Providing you have a suitable diameter opening then it shouldn't be an issue. I took the plastic baseplate off my TRA001 and fitted the router's metal baseplate direct to my router table plate, this gave me an additional 5/6mm (but I didn't really need it).

skronk":ew2rl7bg said:
Och.....might just go for TRA001. You can look forever, eh ?

Thanks again.

You've seen this thread from a couple of days ago ? https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/router-advice-t85148.html

Previous to my TRA I used a MOF001 in a table for several years. Despite it being "only" 1400W I really never had any trouble with larger cutters. Maybe it groaned a bit with panel raisers but if you take it slow it'll manage almost anything.

I also have a JOF001 which I only use hand held. Nice little machine that is light weight, physically small, takes a 1/2" (and 12mm) collet and is very cheap - for what it is. Feels a bit cheap and plasticy compared to a DW or Festools but to be expected given the bargain price. Has overhead height adjustment (just like the TRA and MOF) but with only 1100W it's really too small for table use. Has the same loose collet and nut arrangement as the MOF.

Mark

Back