Totem pole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
From this green oak beam, with an overall length after extension piece added of 4,600mm x 200mm x 200mm.

dscf1039r.jpg

First two cuts...

dscf1060g.jpg

To this...

totempole2.jpg

totempole1.jpg

totempole3.jpg

totempole4.jpg

Its differant than the usual totem poles around here-----But I like it :D I bet you can still dance around it if you wanted to. :D

Travis

Travis":ccsb58m6 said:
Its differant than the usual totem poles around here-----But I like it :D I bet you can still dance around it if you wanted to. :D

Travis

The rain dance that I've been doing hasn't worked yet! :cry: :cry:

I like that, looks like it would have been hard work, but worth it.
A very complex shape with very simple geometry and construction.
I might have to have a go at a similar thing. (one day).
Question, if you had totated the marking our 90 degrees at every layer would you have ended up with a spiral effect?

This shape has got into my head, I can see that it will have to be done, probably a rough lash up to get a feel for it then a proper go.
Eddie, thanks for the inspiration.

Chunko'.

That is very clever Eddie and looks so crisp, you must have a sawing arm like popeye after that :D , I saw patterns similair at the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, must ahve taken a lot of concentration too-one cut the wrong way would have ruined it.
Nice work

And here is a sculpture that I finished this morning.

It stands approx 2,400mm high and each oak disc is 260mm x 50mm.

spiraltwo.jpg

spiralone.jpg

And a bird bath.

dscf1247.jpg

dscf1250l.jpg

Beautiful work. I cannot decide which I like the best! How many hours to cut out the geometrical cuts on the first pole?

=D> =D>

munkypuzel":1wxutacl said:
Beautiful work. I cannot decide which I like the best! How many hours to cut out the geometrical cuts on the first pole?

=D> =D>

I'm not actually too sure. :oops: When I first started, I calculated that it was going to take approx 40hrs of cutting plus all of the other work. When I got into it, the speed increased, and as I didn't have to buy the saws to complete the project, I was able to just use a fresh one as often as I liked. :)

In all I made two over cuts out of the whole thing, and this only happened because of change in saw style and saw set. The inprovement had caught me out and whilst the clip system saw had a wider set and more blade flex, it produced a much faster cut. Luckily I was able to just use a delta sander to corect my mistake and tidy it up.

The disc sculpture took far longer to produce and wa sless interesting to do. I reckon that I spent an estimated 60hrs making that one.

'Cut Above The Rest' looks pretty good in the wet as well.

acutabovetherestphotoon.jpg

Back