Joining oak to make stair quarter landing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo83

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m currently adding engineered oak treads and mdf risers to a steel string staircase. On our final staircase we have a three kite winder change of direction and also a quarter landing which is 900 x 900. The largest I can order the engineered oak (32mm) in is 1.5m x 600 which will take care of the kite winders in one piece, but not the quarter landing. I’ll therefore have to make up the quarter landing section, with a join. I own a Festool domino and was planning to use 6 joints plus titebond ultimate to join two pieces together to make the width. The join would sit somewhere in the middle of the quarter landing where it’s likely at its weakest. It of course needs to be super strong with no risk of either pull apart, or breaking and will be supported along the edges, but not in the centre of the landing area.

Would this be sufficient or is there a better joint / way?

I also contemplated routing a dado and inserting a length of 6mm mild steel down the joint with polyurethane glue…

Thanks, Tom

Or also if anyone knows of anywhere that might do a pre glued quarter landing of size 900 x 900 approx 32mm thick engineered oak? I’ve had the previous ungroved blank treads from pear stairs.
Thanks

What do you mean when you say engineered Oak, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing.
Ian
Hi Ian, it’s 32mm thick and made up of individual staves with a 3mm veneer on top. I’ve attached a photo

Attachments

• IMG_2280.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Are they 32mm thick? all I could see on Pear stairs were 22mm thick, a standard size, unless your buying stringer stock.

I would have a support frame underneath the landing, but don't see an issue with, as you propose, to joint the boards to get the cover, with a few domi's and glue.

Yes they’re definitely 32mm, they also do 22mm. I have thought about a frame underneath, as it’s quite a span. Guessing normally a quarter landing would have some thin joists underneath in a frame?

Are they 32mm thick? all I could see on Pear stairs were 22mm thick, a standard size, unless your buying stringer stock.

I would have a support frame underneath the landing, but don't see an issue with, as you propose, to joint the boards to get the cover, with a few domi's and glue.
Best making it floating too.

Back