Tool Rolls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying some tool rolls to store my chisels instead of the trays they are in at the moment.

I really want leather ones but the prices vary from £4 - £50.

I would love to buy the ones Workshop Heaven or Axminster sell but as I need 5-6 12 chisel rolls it is not going to happen at the price they are.

I want to buy them not make them as I have not got the time.

Any thoughts on the cheaper ones.

Thanks in advance

Tom

I've got a couple of the £5 'leather' ones from ebay, for the money they're fine, although perhaps a bit small for the larger chisels such as mortice and heavy duty firmers.

I have acquired a few over the years. I have never owned a proper leather one, my favourite variety is the heavy duty canvas type. Once they have had a good bit of WD40 sprayed into the pockets and generally all over they seem to be pretty much waterproof. I top them up every so often when I happen to have the WD40 out at the same time as my chisel rolls are out of my tool bag. My big framing chisels are protected by highly sophisticated chisel covers, 3 bits of hardboard glued together then wrapped in duct tape. These are also filled with WD40 but far less often than the canvas ones. Never paid more than £20 for one though. And the £20 one was one I was less than impressed with to be honest.

Zach

Some people have had trouble with some leather causing steel to rust, due to the tanning chemicals.

BugBear

Thanks Guys

I will try some of the cheap ones off ebay and see how I get on, I can then save up and buy the more expensive ones if I find that is the way forward.

Tom

I went for the Suede Leather Tool Roll from Workshop Heaven.

I know they are expensive at £50 but the quality is great, holds 12 tools and even fits my pairing chisels.

Stormer1940":1m7tss3r said:
Faithfull do one for about a tenner... Or less...

Bought one of these a couple of weeks back for taking my own chisels to my woodwork class (got tired of using bent files some collage student used as an arrow).

It does the job nicely able to hold upto 32mm chisels no problem, and since they are only in the roll for transport and the 3 hours at the class there is no issues about leaking chemicals. Something to note though when working out how many you need. It lists itself as an 8 pocket roll, which it is but the strap for tying the roll does not close when all 8 pockets are filled so you either have to use it as a 6 pocket or as I chose, get some string.

Latest posts

Back