Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great Waka, looks really spectacular. Only thing I can say is if this is how you build yourself a tool cabinet........what the hell does your furniture look like!...........poetry in motion I think. :shock:

Those drawers are looking lovely. Good decision to add 'muntins' for such wide drawers. I like the fact that you can see the dovetails as well. :)

mahking51":2ueais4q said:
Waka,
Are you going to go with the ventilators we talked about?
That'll get them wondering... 8) :lol:
Martin

Not to sure yet, I'll decide when I get the other two drawers finished.

Been a very busy week not only in the workshop but with other outside interests as well.

At last the dovetailing of the drawers for the lower cabinet is finished and the drawers in place. There is a definite knack to fitting these drawers with the "push to open/close" mechanism, by the time I got to the last drawer I think I'd mastered it.

There was a point when I nearly went back to the ordinary ones but in
the end patience prevailed.

IMGP2752.jpg

IMGP2753.jpg

Next job is to start on the fronts, thats will be the straight forward bit, but I'm not so sure about the cock beading around the edges, I've never done this before so it should be interesting.

Still on schedule to have the base cabinet finished by the end of January.

Please enjoy and comment positive or negative are welcome.

Looks good Waka.

Is it an applied cock bead you are doing, or a scratched moulding?

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":35vgzbai said:
Looks good Waka.

Is it an applied cock bead you are doing, or a scratched moulding?

Cheers, Ed

Its going to be applied, I did think originally of scratched but this all being new, I didn't trust myself with doing it on birds eye mapel.

Waka, your attention to and execution of detail is producing an article more than equal to the tools it is to host.

I assume your fitting a false front on the drawers which will cover the gaps all round the drawers? If this is so then fitting and making the cockbeads will be very easy for you. Will they be only on the outside or do you plan to have a fielded panel too?

Bloonose":20t0t457 said:
I assume your fitting a false front on the drawers which will cover the gaps all round the drawers? If this is so then fitting and making the cockbeads will be very easy for you. Will they be only on the outside or do you plan to have a fielded panel too?

The intension is to put the false front on that will be the same height as the drawer front, the sides will extend over the drawer runners. The gap around the drawers will then be just in excess for 1/8 ", then the cock beading will fit over the top of the false front all the way around going back the thickness of the drawer front which is approximately 3/8", the beading will then protrude from the front of the drawer 1/8".

What materials are you using, same or contrasting? I think the front would look nice if the Main was Rosewood and the cockbead Maple. I've made some from Rosewood, Walnut and Ebony and its the tiny round over which is the tricky part. Rough cutting the mitre then shooting them with a Shoulder plane works easier then one of those gillotines IMHO. but I dont think you'll have any problems given the standard of work your already producing! too good for tools :evil:

Waka

Niiiice!!!! A cabinet fitting of the contents it's designed to store, I like it a lot!!

Please don't think i'm being picky, but it looks to me that the second drawer up has a different number of pins on the left hand side to the right. Is this just a trick of the light, or a "design feature"? :lol: Whatever it is, it's part of a fantastic cabinet.

Cheers

Aled

Bloonose":1con795e said:
What materials are you using, same or contrasting? I think the front would look nice if the Main was Rosewood and the cockbead Maple. I've made some from Rosewood, Walnut and Ebony and its the tiny round over which is the tricky part. Rough cutting the mitre then shooting them with a Shoulder plane works easier then one of those gillotines IMHO. but I dont think you'll have any problems given the standard of work your already producing! too good for tools :evil:

The front of the draws is birds eye and the cock beading rosewood, my thinking is that the light against the dark will look OK. When it comes to the top cabinet then the door frames will be rosewood with the panel birds eye.

When the doors are opened you will be presented with a lot of smaller drawers that have front of birdseye.

I just hope the colours work together.

Aled Dafis":2zh249ey said:
Waka

Niiiice!!!! A cabinet fitting of the contents it's designed to store, I like it a lot!!

Please don't think i'm being picky, but it looks to me that the second drawer up has a different number of pins on the left hand side to the right. Is this just a trick of the light, or a "design feature"? :lol: Whatever it is, it's part of a fantastic cabinet.

Cheers

Aled

Aled

Not a problem being picky all comments are appreciated. You are the only one that has picked up on the dovetails.
What I have done on each draw is to have one of the dovetails different to the other three sides. Don't ask me why, I just thought I'd make it a design feature. I guess a little bit like dovetailing the muntins in place. As you can see I still have three of these to do.

Waka":3uy8iu27 said:
....... You are the only one that has picked up on the dovetails.
I just though they were a design feature that I had missed in the rest of the thread. :lol:

Latest posts

Back