Tool Cabinet - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a few hours today putting the drawer runners into the main carcass. I'm using the "push to open" ones, they came yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed with them.

Now its sorting out the drawers, probably get one or two completed before Christmas and hopefully have the lower section completed by the end of January.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Waka, you finally used that tenoning jig on your tablesaw!!!!! :lol: :shock:

Looking very good mate, very good indeed.

Waka":23ua0qnq said:
noddy67":23ua0qnq said:
Waka looking great. Can I ask you did you buy the maple panels already veneered or did you do it yourself? If so did you use a vacuum bag to do it?
Thanks

Noddy

I have to confess that I had the panels made, I did this for two reasons, the first being that I didn't have the vacuum press, and my skills at veneering are zero.
The second being that after buying all the kit, then the substrate and birdseye veneer it probably would have worked out more costly than having it made professionally.

So there you have it, I've come clean on the panels, all the rest I am doing myself honestly.

Would it be possible to have the details of where you got the panels made up and just how horrible the cost was as I will also be doing some panel work at some point fairly soon and would like some options!

Many thanks

Miles

That IS an interesting site. I'll certainly be using them in the future. Cheers

I spent a couple of hours in the workshop this morning, last time until Boxing day, an finished off the DT's on the first drawer and glued ot together.

As mentioned all the drawer runners are now in place.

IMGP2726_2.jpg

I used this jig to set the runners in, not sure but I think its Trend and I got it from Rutlands a long tome ago.

This is the first drawer, it takes me a couple of days to get a drawer this far and probable a day to do the cock beading and actually fit.
So at least another few weeks before the six drawers are all in situ.

The drawers will be be made of mapel, the drawer will have a birds eye mapel front and the cock beading will be rose wood.
IMGP2727_2.jpg

IMGP2728_2.jpg

how do you find that Kreg drawer thingy? I have been tempted in the past but thought it might b a bit gimmicky/gadgety?

I found them very good, you do have to have a spacer between the drawers to get the best of them.
I would recommend them if you have a lot to do.

What does the jig actually do then Waka, just keep it steady and at right angles to the face while you mark the holes ?

Looking good and like the sound of those drawers, can't wait to see how they turn out.

Cheers, Paul :ho2

chisel":362slyvf said:
What does the jig actually do then Waka, just keep it steady and at right angles to the face while you mark the holes ?

Looking good and like the sound of those drawers, can't wait to see how they turn out.

Cheers, Paul :ho2

You've got it on one Paul, it has a strong magnet on the side which holds the runner, the outside angle keeps it at right angles to the frame. Quite simple really, I'm sure that it would be easy to replicate in wood.

There id also a pair of stays that you position the draw on to aid fixing the runner to the side of the draw.

Now the festive is over its back to work on thew tool cabinet'

Drawers are bog standard construction with dovetails back and front.

IMGP2747.jpg

Now two are in place and I have the knack the others should be OK. I have another gluing up so hopefully I'll have all the drawers for this section fitted this week.

IMGP2749.jpg

This shows two of the drawers fitted, not as easy as I thought, a lot of final trimming to get the push/pull to open correctly.

IMGP2748.jpg

Because these big drawers are quite wide I decided to put in a central support, I have to say that when I put the first draw together I forgot about the support.

IMGP2750.jpg

To make it look a bit different I dovetailed the support in place, I think it makes a feature out of the draw should you wish to take the draw out, that's my excuse anyway.

IMGP2751.jpg

Back to more draw fitting and making tomorrow.

When I have all the drawers fitted I will then concentrate on the fronts and cock beading.

Back