Teak sideboard - what have I done wrong? Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voteforpedro

Reaction score
Hello! I sanded away a few scratches on the doors of a teak sideboard and then finished with clear danish oil, but the sanded parts are much darker than the original. What have I done wrong? Can I fix it? Please help, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2874.JPG
    IMG_2874.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 0
You cannot do bits of a door, apply a completely different finish and expect it to match. Now you will need to strip down the entire door properly )not sanding in the haphazard fashion you seem to have done, but keeping with the, and refinish it properly.

Make sure that the doors are solid and not veneered. If it is just a thin veneer you are at risk of going through it and totally ruining the doors.

That looks to be a lipped and veneered door. Two things could be happening here. One is that the fading, or slight bleaching that naturally occurs in sunlight ,has been removed by your sanding revealing a darker wood. The other is that the veneer layer is now so thin , that the oil has soaked into the substrate below, giving rise to the discolouration.

The previous poster has just pipped me to it, but the solution is to evenly strip the whole door and re coat it with your finish. It won't alter the colour but at least the doors will be even.

I always found that using a scraper, or scraper plane was a lot easier on lipped and veneered work, as you can count the number of shavings you can reasonably take off, before you reach the ground beneath. Sanding, doesn't necessarily give you this fine tuning

' There is nothing more dangerous in a workshop than a piece of sandpaper ' :rolleyes: The newly exposed fibers in the veneer have absorbed the oil causing a mismatch in the finish. You could try pouring meths on it and setting it alight - out of doors preferably - and then a varnish spray. Otherwise you are into sanding back the entire door hoping not to go through the veneer. Finish with a lacquer rattlecan.

I'm afraid you have already sanded through the veneer! The only thing you can do now is to strip the rest of the door. Take the handle off then strip with a paint stripper and No. 1 wire wool. Do not use any more sandpaper or a scraper. Get some dichloromethane stripper if you can. You could then try to touch in the area you have sanded through before refinishing. The only real cure for this though is to re-veneer the door.

Attachments

• gone through.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back