Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pete, yes I have,
I was quite surprised by the proportions of Base, Mid, Neck diameters on some of the regular output from the potteries. I guess a lot depends on the fashion in the respective eras.
Just hoping someone else would add some reference material links to that thread.

Paul.J":1ijw9rjb said:
You mean they look sturdy :?:
In a good many instances, yes Paul, I guess it reflects the desire to resist a breakage from toppling over, neck proportions are often quite wide also, nearer 50/50 than thirds, the Moorcroft stuff floats my boat in most cases, I guess it's something to do with what one's been conditioned to seeing on display in the nations treasure homes.

Must concentrate on preparing my next batch of blank material to accommodate some of the forms.

I can see the form that we see quite a lot of in wodturning,where the base is narrower and turned under in the classic pottery styles but they mostly seem to have a foot on,or a wider base :?

________
________Another bit of Richards split personality wood.
________
________

_______________Root Burr ____________________130 mm.

Wood unknown, general consensus when discussing it with the Donor, "richburrow" was that it was a root burr and originated in Australia.

Paul, if my memory serves me correctly you have a couple of pieces you keep trying to hide at the back of the bench, needs a small faceplate and plenty of screws, somewhat frangible to rely on spigots alone for main shaping.

Don't know if it's just me but there is something about wood like this with it's pits, holes and imperfections that really appeals to me. It is just very, very honest wood ( if that makes sense?)

My favourite piece I have turned (out of not too many items) is a peace of Yew that had a branch growing through at some time that was not completely obvious until I started to turn a bowl. The branch ran through and has created 2 defects either side it is basically unfinished the interior not fully formed nor the finish completely perfect as to me to do so would have lost too much of the charcter of the wood, but to me it is superb, I can sit with it in my hand for ages just running it through my hands.

Is it just me?

CHJ wrote
Paul, if my memory serves me correctly you have a couple of pieces you keep trying to hide at the back of the bench, needs a small faceplate and plenty of screws, somewhat frangible to rely on spigots alone for main shaping.
Do you mean those cubes of wood with the holes in Chas :?:
This piece looks a lot darker than the last one you turned :?
I keep picking em up wondering what to do with em both. :?:

That's the ones Paul, why do you think it's taken me so long to spin them up :lol:

Colour in shot is just down to my lighting, getting the contrast/brightness levels somewhere near. The high gloss finish is just about impossible to light without glaring reflections. The actual colour ranges from Dark Cherry Red to Dried Blood Red dependant on light and viewing angles.

I will have to get them turned Chas :D
I did make enquiries some time ago about the wood and was told it was some sort of Aussie root which had been got at by some grub,hence the holes :?:

Paul.J":2ifbos2v said:
I did make enquiries some time ago about the wood and was told it was some sort of Aussie root which had been got at by some grub,hence the holes :?:

No way are they grub holes Paul, they are too random in form and have associated long splits with the equivalent of bark inclusions in them.

DSCN2201M.JPG

DSCN2200M.JPG

The outside looks as though it has been subjected to fire damage, flash forest fire?

I was sent a picture of an infested piece Chas,that the supplier was selling,which i can't find now,and it looked very similar to what we have.

________
________A couple of little afternoon Bon Bon dishes.
________
________
_________Labelled as Myrtle [Australian Acacia/Wattle?]____________________(150mm)

And no, that is not a flat on the rim at 11 o'clock in the 3rd image, just a strong light reflection off the MC wax finish.

Down to the buffing system Paul, causing me considerable problems with my photos due to reflections.

Chas,

Don't know which camera you use but would a polarizing filter help to reduce the reflections or applying it in some form in photo editing software ?

Steve :)

Thanks Mark, afraid there's no deep philosophy behind most of it, other than I decided when I first started that if I managed to produce anything then the finish had to be the best I could achieve.

Recent years have seen a deeper meaning to a great deal of the basic bits I do in that they are made from local woodland that is part of a 'healing retreat' people who find solace in the surroundings often take a little something home with them as a reminder and point of contact, occasionally they commission something from a particular piece of storm damage or woodland clearance. So little 'users' are the norm and I can just relax in front of a bit of spinning wood in my own time, without filling too many rooms in the house to overflowing.

Latest posts

Back