Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Chas :D
Lovely piece of wood.

CHJ wrote
Need to try a few more of this sort of shape to get a balance between base diameter and stability with contents.
Have you seen the write up about base dia in the latest woodturning mag. :?:

Paul.J":3l3ohwj0 said:
....Have you seen the write up about base dia in the latest woodturning mag. :?:

The one by Richard Shock? yes Paul, I'll go along with the 1/3rd or less rule for aesthetics and in general the majority turn out about that but some of my 'users' are sometimes as much as 1/2 for stability if they are expected to be used for 'hand dunking' contents, also tall user vases are not appreciated if the contents have to be arranged for balance as opposed to effect.
I think the wood figuring also has an impact on the piece, sometimes a base just seems right and yet when measured is way out of the accepted norm.

But then I just turn and as long as it gets a thumbs up or even just acceptance from the quality control manager and the main outlet it saves me carting it over to my neighbors firewood store.

________
________Some Ropy Beech.
________
________

_______________165 mm dia.
________
________Some Rotten Beech.
________
________

________________145 mm dia.

Wow, the figuring and form on the Beech is superb. How did the wood turn? Did you have to soak it in something first to make it more workable, due to it being fairly rotten?

Dan

No soak before or during turning Dan, it was not that far gone, just sharp tools to stop the tear-out and minimum sanding so as not to hollow away the softer spots.
Cellulose sanding sealer, several coats on the spongy bits to finish until saturated, this hardens it up.

Paul.J":3p6gf6xe said:
........How did you do the rope effect :?:
Crown Spiralling cutter Paul, only just getting to know it, need to explore wood species and hardness etc, like most of these things a lot more to it than the videos would have you believe to get the result you were aiming for.

CHJ":3qm74ix1 said:
Paul.J":3qm74ix1 said:
........How did you do the rope effect :?:
Crown Spiralling cutter Paul, only just getting to know it, need to explore wood species and hardness etc, like most of these things a lot more to it than the videos would have you believe to get the result you were aiming for.

Is that similar to the Sorby one Chas or something different? Where is it sold or is it on a test drive with you?

It's one tool I would like but am not prepared to fork out £100+ for it from Sorby.

Pete

It's a new Crown version Pete, very much a clone of the Sorby system and by the looks of it the cutters are Interchangeable .

It's priced lower than the Sorby and its adjustable rest support is much simplified but quite as effective.
At the moment I am not in much of a position to pass any critical or otherwise comments as I have still got quite a learning curve to climb.

Rough texturing of a surface is easy to achieve but clean spirals are not so easy on harder woods, I need to try some softer species and greener woods for effect.

This is what it looks like Pete:

DSCN2134.JPG

DSCN2135.JPG

DSCN2136.JPG

Well it is appearing on Crown show stands, whether there is enough interest in a limited sell item to interest distributors or whether Crown have enough produced yet to offer it I don't know Pete.

________
________Pau Rosa.
________
________

_______________________________________145 mm dia.

Love that wood, and the design you have used Chas.

very classy

loz":1nq7865r said:
Love that wood, and the design you have used Chas.

very classy

Seem to have a thing going for these fold over rims at the moment Loz, initially driven by blank faults that needed turning out, the gouges seem to have a mind of there own exploring thin walls and flowing curves as I use up some of the bits of wood that are clogging things up somewhat in the shed..
I too love the vibrant colour of fresh cut Pau Rosa, just unfortunate that it loses it over time if exposed to sunlight.

Lovely piece of wood Chas,and used well :D
I still can't see why timber like this and Yew lose their colour when we turn and finish them. :?
I have found some more Yew that i cut a few years ago and it still has it's lovely bright colours as when it was cut.
Is it the finishes we apply that make them lose the vibrant colours :?: [/quote]

________
________Spalt, Polish & Paint.
________
________

_____________Beech 145 mm dia.__________Beech 156 mm dia.__________Sycamore 195 mm dia.

Back